Monday, October 12, 2020

MONDAY MAGAZINE



Hello, friends!  Hope you are having a wonderful day.  It is cold and rainy here.  I am feeling better, but still not good.  I ended up taking a two-hour nap this afternoon and I really needed it.  I always feel better after my naps.  But my housework has suffered!  I will try to get something done after dinner.

I got my COVID-19 test results back today and I do not have it.  So this must be an upper respiratory infection.  This is good news.  I'd rather have a URI than COVID.

Today I thought I would finally show you another magazine.  I finished this magazine about 5 weeks ago and kept saying, "I must get this photographed and posted" and never did.  So here you go.


Today's magazine is Better Homes and Gardens from... September 1997!  Gasp!  I am finding these old ones in the most unusual places.  When I started looking at it I thought I wouldn't find anything interesting in it.  But I did!


There was an interesting article on neighborhoods.  It seems people are building small neighborhood communities rather than try to promote cities.  These neighborhoods are designed so people have yards, can walk places, have community spaces, playgrounds, parks and good schools.  It's a great idea.


Wouldn't you like this in the center of your neighborhood?  A nice place to sit and eat your lunch or read a good book.  A great place for walking your kids.



The thing I like about my neighborhood is the small stores and places to eat that abound.  People get to know each other even in the middle of a large city.

There was an article about kitchen islands.  I have never had a kitchen large enough to have an island.  These kitchens were pretty.


This checklist to prepare for winter was really helpful.


The article on peonies was gorgeous!  I had no idea there were so many varieties, each prettier than the other.

HUMIUS VILLOSA - This single-flowered species offers an early-blooming show in rose.


NOSEGAY - This early-blooming salmon-pink single is a vigorous grower, tall and frangrant, and renowned for its finely cut and attractive foliage.


SUGAR N' SPICE - The pinched-looking petals of this creamy pink semi-double feature fluting and ruffling.  It's fairly low-growing, to only 24 inches tall.


PRAIRIE MOON - Here is one of the few creamy yellows to bloom mid-season.  The flowers vary in form from single to semi-double depending on soil and climate, but it's slow to grow.



BLUSHING PRINCESS - Princess has light pink flowers with a white sheen and a fragrance!


MILOKOSEWITSCHII - This yellow flower is pretty even when it isn't blooming because it has bronze leaves and red stems.


GAY PAREE - Fuchsia-pink petals surround artichoke-sized centers of creamy white.  Sometimes little pink petals come up through the center of this Japanese variety for a three-colored, tufted effect.


PAGEANT - It is a tall flower up to 5 feet high.  It is also one of the earliest peonies to bloom.  It has hot pink single blooms and large foliage.

Another article was on slipcovers.  I do not use slipcovers but this was interesting.  The lady who this article was about made all kinds of slipcovers for all kinds of furniture.




The big article was on the "Home of the Year".  I thought a 1997 house would be hugely out of date, but found it to be very pretty.




Wouldn't you like a breakfast nook like this?





I loved this little study.  It looks so cozy.



The back of the house is just as pretty as the front.





And finally an article called Dinnertime Express.  There were many more recipes than what I am showing you here, but these are the highlights.


Five spice chicken.  I like the way they used the ramen noodles without the broth as a side dish.



Lamb and polenta bake.


Beef and mushrooms in puff pastry.  Doesn't this look good?


Fettuccine with sweet peppers and onions


Pork chops with onion raisin chutney


Marinated chicken breasts with mozzarella

Who knew there would be so much in such an old magazine?  Now I will pull out the recipes I want and recycle the rest.  I usually pass my magazines on, but I want to save this whole section and I won't give it to anyone that way.

Now it's off to make my own dinner.  Leftovers tonight.  I need to get stuff out of the refrigerator.  Hope you all have a nice evening and I will see you soon.

Kathy


 






13 comments:

  1. Naps really help... My! Didn't that 1997 home hold up well. I could be very content with all those choices. Glad that your magazines are giving you joy all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy,
    I have been enjoying reading your blog- so full encouragement and pretty pictures!
    Keeping you in my prayers for healing.
    Blessings from Oregon,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. I really liked that house! Hope you have a good day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are Covid negative! It is surprising what is in some magazines...I think that house is so cute! The puff pastry & fettuccine look especially delicious. I'd save those recipes too. I like learning about different neighborhoods. Quite a few of the houses in my area are passed from one generation to the next.A story in a story? Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you do not have the Covid virus! Thanks for the magazine tour! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that home of the year! The colors are me and the style is pretty close. It's always fun to look back at an old magazine and see what was in style, what we were liking and talking about in the past. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear you got a negative result too. Hope you feel better soon. We were interested in those planned communities when we retired. I love the idea of living in a small town that has everything you need. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you tested negative. The chicken breasts with mozzarella sounds delicious. Those homes are beautiful. In my younger day, I would have loved a kitchen with an island. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad your Covid test was negative. I hope you feel better soon. The old magazine was interesting. I actually have the same tablecloth featured on the front cover. The house is adorable and the inside didn't look dated. I would say that good architecture lasts the test of time as well as classic interiors. I would love to see what it looks like today. Have a good week and enjoy the October beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was fun to roam through the magazine with you. You can tell by the decor and the colors it was from another time and place. Glad you are doing better. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made me hungry when I saw food from magazine. I've found old magazines myself lately. I'm glad your negative to covid mess. Hope you feel better soon. I need to make applesauce this afternoon. More apples in garage to do next week. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That magazine might be old but there was a lot of interesting and pretty things to see.
    Yay for the negative test results!! Hoping you are felling much better.
    Have a restful evening, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah on the negative test result. We also have been retested recently and were also negative. You sure found a lot of good things in that old magazine. Thanks for sharing all the photos too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.