Monday, August 17, 2020

MONDAY MAGAZINE

 

Hello, friends!  I hope you had a wonderful Sunday.  We had such a great Sunday service yesterday.  Our pastor is away so Joe did the Bible Study.  Then we had a guest speaker for the service.  Our next-door neighbor, Mike, came over to do music for us.  He is such a great guitarist and vocalist.  We really enjoyed it.

We went to Wendy's drive-thru for lunch.  We haven't been to Wendy's in a long time.  And when the bill came I understood why.  It was over $20 for lunch for the two of us.  Expensive!  And all we had was burgers and fries.

In the afternoon we both took naps.  Neither of us had slept well the night before and were dragging.  In fact we slept so well and were so full from lunch that we didn't bother having dinner.

And now today is another wonderful day that God has given to me.  I am feeling pretty good so I hope to make the most of it.

Let me tell you the third and final story from the magazine I finished a few weeks ago:  Country Home from May 2001.  This story is called:


Lisa stopped in the hallway, picked up a dust rag, and wiped off the old cardboard box she'd just carried down from the attic.  Somehow, in more than a year of renovating this house, she and her husband had never seen the box before.  Tucked under the eaves, it had finally revealed itself to her, and she hoped it would provide the information they were looking for.

The couple had immediately fallen in love with the old house.  They'd started the renovation upstairs, redoing the room down the hall as a nursery in anticipation of their first child

Lisa picked up the box once more and carried it into the bedroom, setting it next to her favorite chair.  Carefully she opened it, and its contents made her asp.  Inside was a trove of history.  Old newspaper clippings, yellowed with age.  Black and white photographs with crinkled edges.  And a scrapbook, a bit musty, but still intact.

Putting her feet up on the ottoman, Lisa opened the scrapbook and read the first clipping.  "House wins architectural awards," the headline said.  Of course, she thought.

She unfolded the clipping which pictured several rooms in the house.  There in the bottom right corner, she couldn't believe what she saw: a picture of the master bedroom, furnished seven decades before.  A massive four-poster stood right where Lisa and her husband had put theirs.  A wing chair sat by the fireplace, and a desk stretched in front of the windows.  The styles of furniture were a bit different, but the elements were almost identical, as though Lisa and her husband had furnished the room with guidance from the house itself.

Lisa's eyes rested on the final photo, a picture of the original owners.  They were a young couple with three small children, the mother holding the littlest one on her lap.  The family looked eager, full of hope.  Lisa leaned back, rubbed her stomach, and smiled.  "I've felt it all along," she said to no one in particular.  "We've come home."

And here are the photos that go with the story.





Such a lovely room.  I have so enjoyed sharing these stories with you.  I will have a new magazine for next week that I hope you will enjoy.

At church we are studying the book of Romans and I thought I would share those messages with you.  Let me begin with the introduction from back in February.  Ah, where did the year go?  I have meant to be doing this on each Sunday, but I never seem to get to posting on Sundays.  I hope you will enjoy this video.


Now off to get breakfast.  I will eat it watching the PBS show "Victoria".  I found the series on Amazon Prime.  And even though I have seen the entire thing on PBS, I am enjoying it all over again.

Have a good day, everyone.

Kathy






9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you sounding like you feel much better. I am hoping for a little more energy for me too. The cooler weather will be settling in soon and it will feel soooo good! Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your church service sounds lovely. I enjoyed our outdoor service on Sunday, attended by about 60 people. We are following all the rules set out by our annoying governor here in California. We are having a heat wave so I attended the 9 a.m. service when it was cool and even a slight breeze. Be well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a good weekend. And I love these old magazines. I wish they still had some this good...and they didn't cost so much! I miss them. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy, I loved the little story. Glad your church service was good. Blessings to all for a good week. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the story! The photos help. It is so interesting that even with
    something 'new' we can feel like it just fits, you're home. I so appreciate your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pandemic has made restaurant prices go up like crazy! I love Arby's BLT, but the meal for that is nearly $10...nope, not paying that for fast food. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for a feeling good day. I had one myself just yesterday. I enjoyed the story. Short and sweet. Meant to tell you that I also have enjoyed the vlog Renovation East that you shared awhile ago. Have watched every episode and now my brother-in-law is watching. He spent time in Germany and is interested in carpentry...I'll say...he's built most of his home.

    Will be back to listen to your pastor. He has shared things that have stayed with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a magazine lover and country home was always a favorite. It's format has changed and it only comes out quarterly these days. The magazines have become pricey unless you subscribe and can get a deal. I'm glad you enjoyed your Church service. We need these to help keep our Spirits up! Glad you're feeling good and I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kathy!..
    Good gosh! Twenty dollars for fries and burgers???? We haven't had fast food in over a decade or two. Neither one of our systems like it anymore but good gosh that's nuts!...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.