Wednesday, July 29, 2020

SISTERS GETAWAY -- DAY TWO



Yesterday was part two of the Sisters Getaway.  How it has changed from the days when we would have an 8 day getaway.  Now it is down to 2 days.  But what a wonderful time we had.  

Before I begin, I want to share a picture that Elaine took on Sunday at her house.  It's such a good picture of Joe and me.


Yesterday Elaine came over to my house and we headed out to Lancaster County.  She drove so I was able to get a bunch of pictures from the car.  Lancaster is so different from the "big city" of Philly.  I have found the fastest and easiest way to get there is to drive through center city, so that is what we did.


Here is City Hall with the statue of William Penn on top of it.  The building next to it is Liberty Place Two.  I was wondering what Elaine had on her windshield until I realized that is a billboard on the highway in the middle of the picture.  Ha, ha!  But doesn't it look like the back of a cell phone?

We saw a helicopter flying quite low over where we were.  I figured it was a traffic helicopter.

You know you aren't in Philadelphia anymore when you see corn fields.

And cows.


And horses.

And rolling fields.


We got out there around noon and went right to Lenox to see what they had.  Lenox is closing so everything in the store was 40% off.  But even so, their things were pricy.  You know I always take pictures to show you some of the things they have. 

I almost bought this sign on the left.  It says, "She's always running fashionably late."  That is so me.


Elaine loved this hot air balloon with little bunnies in the basket.  It was a music box.  But it had no price on it and it was the only one there.  We couldn't find anyone to ask how much it was, so it stayed in the store.

I loved these little spring houses.  But I am getting things out of my house, not bringing things in.  They were awfully cute though.


I really liked this swan figure and the two ginger jars.  But I don't know what I would do with them.


This little dish was so cute and I was very tempted to get it, but I didn't.  It has pictures of different kinds of cookies on it and a description of them.  Adorable.

I have seen these Christmas mugs there before.  One set says "Mr. & Mrs." with snowmen and the other "Naughty and Nice" with pictures of ornaments.

There were beautiful glass Christmas trees in various colors.  Pink, red, green, blue, yellow, and purple.  Very pretty and very expensive.



The next place we went to was Christmas Tree Hill.  I was looking for a timed battery operated candle to put in my front window.  I not only got the candle, I also got a beautiful lantern to put it in.  I didn't take any pictures there, though, although I should have because it is such a great store.

Then we headed to Hershey Farm.  We wanted to look through the stores.  We ended up with lots of really good baked goods.  Usually they have great produce there, but none this year.

When we finished we took some pictures in the parking lot.  They always have beautiful gardens.

And here's Famous Amos.  Everyone wants their picture taken with this huge Amish farmer.


Here's the birthday girl!


And the two of us.  Yes, I am letting my hair go gray.  I just got tired of dying it.  But I think it looks kind of good.



Elaine wanted to stop into Strasburg Antique Village so that's where we went next.  I have been having trouble with my legs and feet and it is painful to walk, so I just stayed in the car while she looked around.  She said there were a couple of things she was interested in, but were too big to put into her car.

By this time it was almost 3:00 so we went to Bird-in-Hand Restaurant to get dinner.  This is Elaine's favorite place to eat in Lancaster County and you should always eat where you want on your birthday.

It looks like they have outdoor seating, but there was no one there.  I don't blame anyone that wanted to eat inside.  It was hot!

They had the menu on a board outside.  I already knew what I wanted.  I had looked the menu up on my phone before I got there.



We got seated right away.  It was the emptiest I have ever seen Bird-in-Hand Restaurant.  Usually it is packed so tightly that you can hardly move.  There were about eight tables occupied and all were spread out.  I hate to say it, but I enjoyed it more.  It was much nicer.

Elaine was so thrilled that the Smorgasbord was open and she headed for that.  She had to wear her mask and was given clean gloves each time she went up so there was no contamination.



She got a salad with hot bacon dressing (her favorite) to start.


I ordered the chicken pie.  I had been looking forward to it for days!  And it was wonderful.  Every bite of it.  When I was finished, I handed the waitress a perfectly clean plate and told her it was a shame I didn't like the pie.  She started laughing.


It came with two sides, so I got zucchini casserole and homemade applesauce.  They were excellent, but I was so full I couldn't eat them all.


Elaine was so happy to be eating in a restaurant again.  What a treat for her birthday.


I was happy about it too!


Elaine got mashed potatoes, chicken, ham balls, shrimp and fish for her main course.



For dessert there was shoofly pie and a pumpkin whoopie pie.



We decided to head home so it was still light for Elaine to drop me off and then drive over to her girlfriend's house where she was staying.  I took a few more pictures of Lancaster on the drive.

The town of Intercourse.


Some fields.





And a silo to say goodbye.


Tomorrow I will show you what I bought out there.  But it is late and I am heading to bed now.

Until later...

Kathy



10 comments:

  1. The food looks so delicious! I love chicken pie! The chicken & mashed potatoes look good too. Good girl for resisting the temptation to buy in Lenox. It can be so hard...The photos are beautiful! The one of you & Joe is great. Looks like you both had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a good 'get away' and the pictures were so pretty. I love seeing different parts of this great country. Another 'sister' trip in the books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you gals had a fantastic time! What beautiful country photos. The fool all sounds delicious. Now I'm getting hungry. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me smile! My sister lives in a town where a group of Amish people have relocated. Guess Lancaster Country is a little crowded. They have a beautiful farm stand with fresh veggies and baked goods. I told her to snatch up any Shoo-Fly pie stat. 😁 I have only had it twice in my life and it is soooo delicious. Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to be able to have a getaway with your sister and best friend. Love driving through those small towns too and you find the best shops. Thanks for sharing your fun. Your hair look beautiful and the birthday looks great too. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you girls got to have time together and enjoy Elaine's birthday. Kathy, I liked the pic of you and Joe. Blessings to all, stay safe. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picture of you and Joe! I am so glad you had a good day together with your sister. It sounds like a special treat for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you had a good visit with your sister. I enjoy the photos you took there. I believe we ate at a Bird in Hand restaurant when we were in that area visiting a friend. We went to Salzburg as well on a train ride. All restaurants here in town are social distanced tables. Masks required to wear while going inside. Maybe we should have a zipper on mask so we can drink with a straw!! Haha! Take care and hope your day goes well!!! Becky L.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your getaway sounds delightful! Your pictures certainly show the Lancaster County countryside very well. One of these times We will have to get together again when you come my way. ☺
    Love the picture of you and your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you were able to go and celebrate with your sister! I have been in most of the places you mentioned, so I could imagine and enjoy the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.