Tuesday, July 28, 2020

SISTER'S GETAWAY == DAY ONE



Hello, friends, and welcome to the 2020 version of the Sisters Getaway.  Like everything else, this year is very different.  Instead of being able to take Elaine to a nice restaurant for her birthday, Joe and I headed to her house for a cookout.  Our friends Marion, Rich and Frank were also there.

We were the last ones to arrive since we attended church first, and then left right away afterwards.  I did have to stop at Rite Aid first because I did not have a gift bag large enough for her gift.  While I was there I was looking for a hat to save me from getting too much sun.  It was another HOT day and since her new neighbors cut down their trees, there is no shade in Elaine's yard.  I found a cute hat that was half price and then with my card 20% off.  Here's a picture of it.


It is straw and I love the black band around it and the way it ties in a bow with the streamers down the back.  It was the only one on the shelf and I think it was there because although it says "Hello Sunshine" the H in Hello was missing.  You could see where it was, but the black sequins were missing.  I didn't care.  I have ordered black sequins which should be here tomorrow and I will glue them onto the hat where they once were.  It will be fine.  And it did the job.  Such a cute hat.  I wore it almost all day along with my sunglasses.  Another cute purchase from Target awhile back.  I love the black frames with the white polka dots.


Since we were so late getting there, they had already eaten.  But there was plenty of food left and we did not go hungry.  Rich made Joe a hamburger and I had some chicken wings.  They were good.  We also had some cauliflower straws which I really liked.  I will have to look for them.  A nice alternative to potato chips.


Joe really enjoyed himself talking to Rich.


Then Frank joined them.


Ace saw that it was a "guy" thing and decided he needed to be a part of it.


Here's the birthday girl, Elaine.  Everyone was taking pictures.


It was really hot and Ace took shelter in the shade of the table.

We finally moved inside and got out the birthday cake.  I had bought it at Oteri's Italian Bakery where Joe and I had gotten our wedding cake.  Their cakes are so good.



Marion had brought some cookies and I put them on a plate for her.  I didn't even realize Ace was at my feet looking for a handout while this picture was taken.


Here's Marion and Rich.


There were no candles on the cake, but we all sang "Happy Birthday" to her.


Elaine made a wish and said we were all to assume that she had blown out all the candles and her wish would come true.  Ha, ha!


Then she cut the cake.  Don't you love her new kitchen chairs?  They are woven gray and white and so pretty.


Here's Joe with his piece of cake.

After we ate we went into the living room where she opened her birthday gifts.


This one is from Joe and me.


We got her a solar powered garden gnome holding a watering can that has fairy lights in it.  At night it looks like fireflies in the can.


Marion and Rich got her a cute t-shirt.



And a little figure of a bear sitting in an Adirondack chair reading a book.

Marion's birthday was in May and since Elaine hadn't seen her, she gave her her gift.  Marion is a realtor so this Wanna buy a house? t-shirt was perfect for her.


We were having such a good time that we left an hour later than we wanted to.  That made me drive the last 45 minutes in the dark.  Something that I don't like to do.  But it was OK and we got home safely.

Since Elaine got the new chairs for her kitchen, she gave us her old chairs.  Our kitchen chairs are falling to pieces.  Literally.  So we got rid of these...


And replaced them with these.


They are not a perfect match with the table, but they are close and in much better shape than what we had.

Monday was another scorching hot day.  I worked a lot in the kitchen cleaning up.  It's amazing how much junk we all accumulate.  I am getting rid of my junk.  And I moved the old chairs out and the new chairs in.  I also made some corn muffins for breakfast tomorrow.  But I think I overdid it because I have been feeling sick all afternoon and evening.  Joe even made dinner for me because I wasn't up to it.  I hope I am OK for today because Elaine and I are headed to Lancaster.  I'll let you know how that goes.  Today is Elaine's actual birthday so I don't want to miss it.

Thanks for coming along with me and stay tuned for more.

Kathy


9 comments:

  1. Nice time with family! I am glad all went well on your drive home. I don't like driving in the dark if I have to drive more than 1/2hour. Worse when it is raining. I hope you feel better and will have fun in Lancaster. Nice place to go. Been there years ago, although it's probably changed. Stay safe and well! Hugs! x------x
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. With that hat & sunglasses,you ARE sunshine! Totally cool look! Love the gnome & the 'house' t-shirt. How fitting! Ace is adorable.Did anyone bring doggie cookies?
    Congrats on the chairs & close match is Okay. I believe it's called eclectic. You're in style! Looks like all had fun! Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day Kathy! Loved seeing all the photo and I really really liked the gifts your sister got. Her cake was beautiful... Oh and I LOVE that summer hat! How adorable is that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun birthday celebration! And I am a big fan of extending the birthday celebrating out over several days, so I hope you are joining Elaine in Lancaster today! Love your hat . . . great purchase for such a hot day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hat and glasses are awesome! What a fun birthday gathering. The new chairs look just like the old ones. Great match. Enjoy your day with your sister. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Elaine ! May your day be blessed.
    I love the hat, it reminds me of the "northern" English dialect, where we drop the "h" and just say "ello" :)
    Looks like so much fun it's good to see the smiles.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you had a great day! Loved the fresh, pretty colors on Elaine's birthday cake. The pale blue and pale green are just a great combination.

    Sounds as if it was a great birthday celebration. Yay for new to you chairs. I received a new to me bed last week from my sis. I should write about that.

    Take lots of pics and remember those stories or is that stores? 😉

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great party! Love the hat and glasses..you were stylin' girl! I'm glad you all had fun and Happy Birthday to your sister. My sister is coming this weekend and I hope we have as much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to Elaine! It looks as though you had a wonderful time celebrating.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.