Sunday, March 24, 2019

SUNDAY PRAISE -- MOMENT BY MOMENT (DYING WITH JESUS)



Hello, friends!  I have been missing in action last week.  I've been so busy and this week doesn't look much better.  I have three Bible studies and an ultrasound appointment the beginning of the week.  So you might not see much of me this week either.  I will try to get a couple of posts in though.

But first, let me share with you the hymn for this week.  This is the one before the message.  It is "Moment by Moment."  Some of you might know it by its first line, "Dying with Jesus."

This wonderful hymn was written by Major Daniel Webster Whittle in the 19th century.  I've looked all over to find an exact date and I can't.  D.W. Whittle was born on November 22, 1840 in Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts and died on March 4, 1901 in Northfield, Massachusetts.  He was an American hymnwriter, evangelist and Bible teacher.  He was associated with the evangelistic campaigns of D.L. Moody.

He married Abbie Hanson in 1861 the night before he was deployed with Company B of the 72nd Illinois Infantry in the American Civil War.  He was wounded at Vicksburg and marched through Georgia with General Sherman.

After the war he settled in Chicago and worked in the Elgin Clock Company.  It was during this time that he became associated with Dwight L. Moody who encouraged him to go into evangelistic work.

Whittle wrote most of his hymns under the pseudonym "El Nathan" although today's hymnals credit his work with his actual name.  He wrote over 200 hymns during his lifetime.

This hymn was written during the Chicago World's Fair.  D.L. Moody's famous Gospel singer, Ira Sankey, tells the story that the Rev. Henry Varley declared, "I do not like the hymn 'I Need Thee Every Hour.'  I need Him moment by moment."  Major Whittle was so moved that he went to his room and spent the night writing this hymn finishing it at 2:00 a.m.

The hymn became very popular in England.  It came into the hands of the famous Rev. Andrew Murray of South Africa while he was visiting London and he adopted it as his favorite hymn.  The next year Rev. Murray visited Northfield, Massachusetts.  During a meeting for the men in the church he mentioned that this hymn embraced his entire creed and he wished that Ira Sankey knew it and would sing it.  He was very surprised to learn that the hymn was written in the very town where he was standing.  For years Rev. Murray had his wife sing this hymn at almost all of his meetings.  Because of this, it also became a favorite hymn in South Africa.

The tune for this hymn was written by the daughter of D.W. Whittle, May Whittle Moody.  She was born in Chicago on March 20, 1870 and died in Northfield, Massachusetts on August 20, 1963.  She was married to Will R. Moody, the son of the evangelist D.L. Moody.  She was a singer, composer and hymnal editor.  From the age of 15-18 she attended the Northfield School founded by D.L. Moody and from 1888-1890 she attended Oberlin College.

And now, let's listen to this beautiful hymn and remember that we do need Jesus moment by moment.



Enjoy your Sunday.  I'll be back tomorrow with another Magazine Monday.

Kathy






9 comments:

  1. Beautiful song and we do need Him every moment of our lives. Have a blessed Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how many people DL Moody influenced. What a life! I like both hymns Moment by Moment and I Need Thee Every Hour. A blessed Sunday to you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful old song. I didn't recognize his name but Moody sure jumped out at me. Good luck with your ultrasound, Kathy. I hope you and Joe have a blessed Sunday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful song. I hope your week goes smoothly. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, You are in my prayers. Thanks for this post. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful hymn, I haven't sung it in years. Thanks for all the information about him...I often wonder what prompts someone to write a particular song...interesting.
    Hope your ultrasound goes well. 3 bible studies is a lot of studies...(:0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve not thought of this hymn for a long time...wasn’t sure I knew but I did! God bless the rest of your day and oh my, God bless your very busy week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We do need him every moment of our lives but I really do love the hymn, "I need thee every hour"...it's one of my favorites. Hope your week goes good..it's busy in my neck of the woods too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying your week goes well. Love the Snoopy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.