Saturday, November 11, 2017

VETERANS DAY


On this day I always think about those in my family who stepped up and served in the armed forces.  I think of my dad in the Marine Corps during the Korean Conflict.  I think of my step-father serving in the Pacific during World War II.  I remember my father-in-law serving in Viet Nam.  I had a cousin who died in a Japanese prison camp.  I had a great-great-great-grandfather killed during the Civil War.  I had ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War.  And beyond that in Europe before my family came to America in 1622.

My brother, Michael, was in the Navy.  Brother David was in the Army.  And my brother, Joe, was in the Coast Guard.

All are special people.  It is sad that there are wars in the world and that the military is necessary.  But the pride of having someone willing to serve when the need arises is great.

Here is my special Marine today.  My husband Joe.

He belongs to a Veterans group that meets across the street from our house.  They were going to a ceremony this afternoon, so he got all ready.







Joe has been given the privilege of laying the wreath on the monument for those who didn't come back.  I am so proud of him.  I wanted to go and take pictures, but realized there was no way with my bad back and legs I could stand for an hour.  So he went with the guys which is a good thing.

I hope you all remember those special people in your life today too.  Leave a little message about some of them for me if you will.  I would love to read about them.

Kathy

 

10 comments:

  1. Great photos and it is an honor, indeed, for your Joe to participate in the ceremonies today in such a special way. God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos and a poignant post. My great-grandfather was in the Spanish American War, my grandfather in World War I where he was awarded the Purple Heart which I now have and my father was in World War II. Navy, Army and Air Force. A day of remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy, Joe looks so polished and fine, ready for his new duty. I had a father, step-dad and four brothers , who served. Nephews too. I know it a time to pay tribute of honor, but I would like to tell something humorous. My brother Charles was a marine. Every time he would get a new stripe, he'd mess up and go awol and come home. Mommy had no money , but she and daddy would scrap up enough money to send him back to camp. Daddy once said that if Charles had not gone awol so much, he could have been a general. LOL. That was a family joke for us. But Charles did spend time in Laos. Blessings to you and Joe, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe looks so sharp! My father was in the navy but not sure what action he saw.I look back now & realize it wasn't a subject we talked about.Just want to add a word to honor the Military Working Dogs who served. It is because of their service,especially locating
    IED's,that more of our service men & women came home.I thank one & all who served.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When it comes to world war 2, for me its a bit strange. I had an english great grand father who fought against the Japanese. I also had a Japanese great grandfather who fled to Manchuria in China and worked in the coal mines. When he returned to Japan, his home had been detonated by the nuclear bomb. We can't ever stop war but because of the people willing to fight for their country, we can at least reduce it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, does Joe ever look good in that uniform! Glad he was chosen for such an honorable task. I'm sure you were disappointed to not be there too. God bless him, his buddies too, and yes, we remember all the brave men and women who have served!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went through the items my cousin Leona gave me last week that were my uncle Nathans. It was items from his dad, my grandpa (my mom's dad too). Grandpa served in WWI in France. Interesting things...some photos and memorbilia as well from France and Germany. I had cousins, uncles, a brother that served in the military besides myself. There will be wars and rumors of wars til the world ends. But God is with us wherever we go. Hugs to Joe from one veteran to another! Take care and have a blessed week and hope your back back and legs get better. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved reading your blog. I also found
    your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my
    friend and he ejoyed it as well!

    Happy Veterans Day Meme 2018
    veterans day meme



    Happy Veterans Day Quotes | Awesome Veterans Day Quotes
    veterans day Quotes


    Veterans Day VS Memorial Day

    Veterans Day VS Memorial Day


    Happy veterans day images
    veterans day images

    great and best veterans day poems

    veterans day poems

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really loved reading your blog. I also found
    your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my
    friend and he ejoyed it as well!

    Happy Veterans Day Meme 2018
    veterans day meme



    Happy Veterans Day Quotes | Awesome Veterans Day Quotes
    veterans day Quotes


    Veterans Day VS Memorial Day

    Veterans Day VS Memorial Day


    Happy veterans day images
    veterans day images

    great and best veterans day poems

    veterans day poems

    New Veterans Day images 2018

    veterans day images

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.