Friday, April 20, 2012

A ROLLER COASTER DAY



Ever been on a roller coaster?  You go up and down and around and over and under...

How about a roller coaster day?  You day starts down, goes up, takes a twist here and there.  That's the kind of day I had yesterday.

It was a "late" day -- I was working 11:30 to 8:00.  On late days I make myself a breakfast instead of grabbing a muffin or a breakfast bar.  I made myself an over-medium egg and a couple slices of bacon.  I had watched some TV earlier (I love Good Morning America).  Now I was humming some tunes as my breakfast was cooking.  All of a sudden the bacon snapped, grease spattered and there was a searing pain on my right arm.  I looked down and watched my skin start blistering in front of my eyes.  Ouch!  Stop the cooking!  Put on some cold water!

I went upstairs and put some aloe on the skin and a couple of anti-biotic bandaids to protect it from dirt and germs at work.  Oh my!

So I eat, shower, dress, brush my teeth and pack my lunch for work.  All set, but I have a little time.  I decide to do a load of dishes before I leave.  I start to empty the dishwasher.  I go to put the cereal bowls on the shelf, but being a shorty I can't quite reach.  I stand on my tiptoes, shove and an antique cup comes crashing down into the sink and breaks into a million pieces.  At this point I start crying.

I haven't mentioned this in my blog because I try to keep all things positive, but I have been having an awful last two weeks.  I won't go into detail, but a person has really shaken my world with her unkind words.  I have been down -- praying -- depressed -- crying.  So the burn and the broken cup have pushed me over the edge.

I go to work and I guess because I am feeling bad work is not going good.  I'm messing up.  I'm on the downswing of the roller coaster.  But every time you go down, you also have a chance to go up.

Here's where my upswing started.  I took my break and was reading some email.  I had commented on Bevy's blog at treasured up and ponderedBevy had emailed me back with an encouraging and uplifting email.  It made me feel so good.  And the peak was when she said she was praying for me.  Someone I had never met cared enough to pray for me!  Wow!

Just like a roller coaster there were some other twists and turns during the day.  Even a little roll over.  But then I hit another peak.

A guy came in to return some books and pay a fine.  He asked who he could write to or contact to tell that we had an "exceptional" library.  He said there just weren't enough words in the English language to say how good we were.  His daughter is in second grade.  She was failing all her subjects.  Then her class came for a library visit.  I happened to be at the desk, smiled at her and welcomed her to the library.  When she was checking out, I smiled again and told her to enjoy her book and come again.  She started coming to the library and now she is on the honor roll.  I said it was the children's department more than me and that we all worked together, but he insisted it was me that made the difference and took my name.  He is going to our City Councilman and tell him how wonderful I am.  Me?  Top of the roller coaster!

Well, now the roller coaster ride has come to an end.  I had to come down again.  Joe has gotten sick.  I went to Wawa and got him chicken soup for dinner last night.  He is at the doctor's now while I am here at work.  But fortunately the roller coaster ended at a higher place than where it started.  I hope today is not so up and down.  I hope it is just a smooth ride.  Thank you, God, for even days.  And thank you for seeing me through the roller coasters of life.

3 comments:

  1. Love the highs!
    I understand the lows.

    What a great compliment from the father. You just never know what your smile will do. I will try to remember this.
    Blogger friends (and yes we are friends) are special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonderful feeling when others make you feel special.We should all try to find nice things to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kathy, I am not happy to hear that someone's hurtful words have made you feel down. That can be a tough thing to struggle with. Wish I was there to stick up for you!!! On the other hand, look at the wonderful difference you helped with a little girl..that is so great...you just never know the difference you can make in someone's life...just something as simple as a smile and a kind word to someone...good for you...you helped someone...that's great! By the way, I hope Joe feels better!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.