Sunday, April 26, 2015

THE CONSTRUCTION CONTINUES

The saga of the house next door continues.  On Friday while I was home from work sick, there was a lot of banging going on.  When I looked out they were putting up plywood over fiberglass insulation.


They sure are going to town on that house.

Later in the afternoon there was a knock on the door.  The owner of the building company was there.  He said he had talked to Joe about siding the back of our house and was I still interested.  Was I?  Of course!  Joe had told me that they offered to do our house at cost because we had been so nice and kind to them.  We had been looking into it, had gotten an estimate, and were in the process of saving up enough money to get it done.  Here we were being offered to have the job done at less than half of what the estimate was.  So the builder and I went out to the back yard, looked at the job, discussed what was going to be done and I made arrangements to pay him.

So yesterday morning when I got up there were the guys.  They had cleared off the patio and were getting to work.  Such nice guys and it turns out that one of them goes to the Fishtown Library and we know a lot of the same people.

Our house really needed to have new siding.  We actually had some holes in the wall but were trying to hold out because we couldn't afford it.  I consider this new siding to be a gift from God.  There is just no other way it could have happened.

They had done such a nice job next door (on the right).
Here's our house.  You can see the hole in the wall.

And the missing piece under the door.  There was a hole in the alleyway also.
It took all day, and there is a little bit more to finish off, but here is the finished product.  No more hole.

And the alleyway.

It is so beautiful.  I am so very thankful to God for this.  And so thankful to the guys who did the job.
Joe got out into the yard for the first time in weeks to look at the siding.  He was really happy with it.
Meanwhile, the front of the house next door got the first coat of stucco.



The owner, Peter, took me inside the house next door and let me see all the work they had done.  It's beautiful.  The kitchen is all new and so is the bathroom.  They painted everything and redid all the hardwood floors.  Wow!  I told them when we are ready to get the bathroom done we are going to call them.

The guys were telling me that by the house next door being nicer it brings more value to my home and I believe it.  Peter said they are planning to finish up next week because the company that owns the house next door wants to put it up for sale on May 1st.

I got a lot done today.  I even got to make Snickerdoodle cookies for Fellowship Time at church.  They turned out good too.  I try to bring the snack once a month on the last weekend.

Joe and I were able to get to church last night for the evening service.  It turns out that Natasha, Joe and I were the only adults that showed up.  We had two new kids, though, who had their lesson with Cherie along with our three regular kids.  So I guess that was four adults.  

It was funny that when it was time for the kids to go to the Sunday School room, Miss A walked over to the kids and told them in no uncertain terms, "Well, come on!"  Baby talk, of course, but they all got the message.  We had to laugh.

I got to run the power point again.  I really like doing that.  

It's a shame that there weren't more people there because Pastor Justin's message was tremendous!  I am planning on going again this morning so I will get to hear it again.  And I know there will be more people in that service.

I have to run and get ready.  Until later....

Kathy

 

14 comments:

  1. The new siding looks great Kathy. It looks like they did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They still haven't finished the top. We'll see. But it does look good!

      Delete
  2. Kathy~ Your siding is wonderful. I am so glad they were able to get that done for you. Did they have to take the old asphalt siding off or did they just go over it? They did a wonderful job and I do believe it was a gift from God, too. Joe looks GOOD! Glad he was able to get out in the yard a bit. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They went right over the old stuff. I'm glad because it gives us more insulation. The kitchen is an add on and so cold in the winter we can't use it.

      Delete
  3. Kathy--It just shows "good things happen to good people"! Glad you're both feeling better. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, That smile on Joe's face says it all, about the fast and good job the fellows did on your house. I am so happy for you. Sorry you did not have many at church. Can you make up some flyers to be passed around.? Blessings to all, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was just happy to be outside too. We have business sized cards that we hand out to people that shows all our services and our outreach like the food pantry and clothes closet. People are less likely to throw out a card than a flyer. At least we hope so!

      Delete
  5. They really did a great job! Truly a gift from God. Such a blessing! Joe is really looking good! Glad he could get out in the sun for a bit. Enjoy your new 'look'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really is a blessing. Joe was out for less than 5 minutes but he said he enjoyed the fresh air.

      Delete
  6. The siding looks great.. Wait til you see how much you save on your heating bills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so. They didn't put any insulation in just went over the old stuff.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful blessing. The siding looks great and it's wonderful that you were able to get it all done at a more affordable price. God is good... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dee. God is so very good to all of us. It really is a blessing to have that siding done. And paid for so there is no bill hanging over my head.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.