Thursday, May 9, 2024

FEELING BETTER


 

Hello, friends.  I am finding myself feeling a bit better today.  The tears still come when I least expect them, but I am more myself.  That's a good thing.

Yesterday I got a call from Pastor who wanted to go over the program for Debbie's funeral with me.  We talked over some things, made suggestions, and finally got everything together.  He had some questions for the funeral director, and I offered to call them for him.

It was a very strange call.  I had called the day before about getting flowers from the Tuesday Bible Study group for her funeral and spoke with Mrs. S.  And when I called yesterday, she answered as well.  I told her who I was and asked the questions Pastor had wanted answers to.

Mrs. S:  Who are you again?

Me:  Kathy ...  I called yesterday about the flowers and now I have some other questions for you.  Pastor asked me to call for him.

Mrs. S:  And just why are YOU calling?  How are YOU involved in all of this?  This is highly unusual.

Me:  Well, I'm the Church Secretary.  In fact, I'm Pastor's secretary.  He asked me to make some phone calls for him and you were one of them.

Mrs. S:  Oh really?  I didn't know Protestant churches had secretaries.  In fact, I didn't know Protestant ministers had secretaries.  Are you sure you're his secretary?

Me:  Yes.  I have been for 6 years now.  (Really closer to 7 but I didn't say that.)

She did give me the answers I needed, and I was able to call Pastor back and tell him what was going on.  I felt as if I was back working for the library with all the strange calls I used to get there.

I think being able to do something tangible and constructive has helped me.  It's not being able to do anything that drives me crazy.

Still working on the big house cleanout.  Trash day is coming and more trash needs to leave this place.  I will be so glad when it is done.  And I am so thankful to the people who are helping me.

I'm going to go get breakfast now and feed George.  It's a whole different ballgame now because George will not eat the food that Jack did.  I have a feeling that my friends with cats are going to get some cans of food.

Talk to you all again soon.

Kathy


Here's the George cat (as we call him).





5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that today was a better one for you, Kathy. I do think that being able to do something for another is the remedy for sinking into our own despair. Living here in the South, where Catholic churches are found almost exclusively in urban areas, that question made me chuckle, I must admit.
    George is a beautiful cat!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy. It was good that you could help set up Debbie's funeral. Lots of church pastors have secretaries. It doesn't sound weird to me at all. I think the funeral director's response when you call was weird. So glad that you still have George even though he will never replace Jack. I am glad that you are feeling a bit better. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, I think the funeral director's attitude towards you was simply rude, you would think they would be more sensitive than that. I'm sorry you're going through so much right now, it's so very sad. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you are feeling better. Sorry for the loss of your friend Debbie. It's no fun to lose a friend you've known for years. February was my sad month of birthdays as Beth and I were 3 days apart in Feb, some age. I miss her but thankful she's not in pain! I hope things work out ok for your friend's memorial service. Sad that you lost your cat Jack! You and Joe are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catching up on blog reading this morning, Kathy, and I am stopping by to say that I am so sorry to read of the recent losses of your dear and longtime friend and your beloved Jack. Of course, one does not compare with the other, but both occurring close together compounds the difficulty. I am happy to know that your friend is with the Lord! Hugs and prayers for you . . .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.