Thursday, February 4, 2021

A SNOWY GROUNDHOG DAY


Hello, friends!  I had the chance to see the Groundhog Day celebration from Paunxatawny, PA on live stream this year.  That's what happens when you wake up early.  Poor little Phil saw his shadow but it wasn't as all as I thought it would be.  He was in a fake hollow log.  He had a handler who was very kind to him, and he was put on a thick comfotable rug on top of the log and petted.  There were two scrolls given to him.  One was he saw his shadow and one was he didn't.  The men in the group let him crawl around until he sat on one.  That one had a poem that said he saw his shadow.  Then he was fed and put back to bed.  Phil has the life!  And I always felt so sorry for him.

It seems as if the whole country is covered in snow.  We got 8 inches (20.32 cm) here, but a lot of it has turned to ice.  My brother got 14 inches (35.56 cm).  You can see his pictures on his blog "Exploration Photography."  I have the link on my sidebar.  My sister won though.  She got 35 1/2 inches (90 cm) of snow.  Not a great contest to win.  She said in places where the snow has drifted or where she had to pile where she shoveled it is over her head.

In comparison my snow pictures don't look too bad.  In the beginning it was coming down light and fluffy and it didn't look as if we would get too much.

Still any snow can be dangerous on the street.  It turns to ice.


The yard didn't look too bad either.  At first.


The bird feeder and the bench.  I really must get out there and fill the feeder up again.


Here's a view of the entire yard from the kitchen window.



I hope my earthbox is using the snow to get ready for planting in the spring.


The holly tree always shows how much snow we get.


It kept coming and coming.  One of our neighbors did our walk once.  Then Joe went out and did it.  Our next-door neighbor came out, told him to go inside and finished the walk.  He has done it three times since.  Even cleaned off the car and dug a way for me to get out of the parking spot.  That's a good neighbor!  This picture is of Joe, though, shoveling away.


I hope all of you have stayed safe and warm.  We were very fortunate here in the city.  I know a lot of you had it much worse.

I had a doctor's visit today and all went well.  Except it was in a new place and I got lost.  And they were running behind and I had to wait an hour to see a new doctor since mine retired.  *sigh*  To treat myself (because I was so frustrated) I stopped at Yamato's on the way home and brought home Teriyaki Chicken, Gyoza and Sushi.  Both Joe and I enjoyed our lunch.

And now it is time for dinner and I am going to go.  Hope you all have a good evening.

Until later...

Kathy


 

12 comments:

  1. You guys took the brunt of it this time while the western side of the state got off fairly easily. Sunday and Monday brought us little more than a dusting after all the hype, even here in the ridges. It started snowing again before bed on Monday and dropped about 3-4 inches. Then again Tuesday it started snowing before bed and snowed half the night dropping another 3 inches. Yesterday and today it was sunny and everything has started to melt. I think it's supposed to rain tomorrow then become snow later on. I hope it won't be bad. I'm supposed to have lunch with a friend. Stay warm and safe in all that snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy - we need more snow out here. We have actually got very little snow this year. Looks like you have quite a bit there. So nice your neighbor helped Joe with the snow shoveling. So glad your doctor visit went well. Have a good weekend and I'll see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Burrrr. I just finished a post on how warm it has been and how the tree by our balcony is blooming and the bees buzzing.

    I never lived near snow. A nataive California gal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's quite amount of snow your sister has in her area. Its been cold here, some rain Mon and Tues. I have read about other people getting snow as well! Its that time of year. ❄

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your snow photos are so pretty. I have trouble getting around with the big mounds.I'm glad some of it is melting. Your neighbor was so nice to help. Such a blessing! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy, I have to say that you deserved your "after doctor visit wait" lovely take away lunch. It is so hard on many of the elderly and chronically ill people to have to wait a significant amount of time inside the clinic when seeing a doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely treat you had. It's a shame to have to wait that long at the doctor's office. Especially now with Covid still prevalent. You have a great day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a least 10 inches. Had a period of freezing rain which kept the amount down. Still a lot of snow! The kids are having fun so I'm glad for them. So nice of your neighbor to take care of the shoveling! Good neighbors are worth gold ♥
    Yes a treat is a necessity! Long appointment is reason enough and a new location is double reason. Glad you went for it!
    Take care, hope the sun is shining in Phillie today...it is in Lancaster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been watching your snow on the weather channel! I hope you can stay inside a lot this weekend. Looks COLD! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh your poor sister! How can she possibly shovel that kind of snow? Up here it is a good thing if Phil sees his shadow as that means ONLY six more weeks of winter. For us, it could be a lot worse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we got about the same amount of snow. Our driveway was pretty easy to get out with my AWD car so we didn't even use the snowblower. Jack and our dog had appointments this past week but all of those went well except the drive for the vet was a bit dicey! Have a good week and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our snow totals here in Nashua, NH, were much less than my brother in NJ as well and his totals were double our own at 24+ inches. Shoveling a lot of snow is hard so kudos to your neighbor for helping out. And treating yourself is always a good thing to do. Hope the new dr will be someone you like too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.