Thursday, June 11, 2020

BEGINNING THE GARDEN


Hello, friends!  I hope you are having a great day today and keeping cool.  It is so hot here.  Like the weather people on TV say, it's sizzling!

Yesterday I got out in the yard later than I really wanted to.  It was warm.  Very warm.  But I soldiered along and got SOMETHING done.  I always think something is better than nothing.  I pulled one of the chairs from the patio table over because I can no longer stand for more than a few minutes or bend over very well.  I could have sat on the cement floor of the patio but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get back up.

Joe had put the tomatoes and marigolds on the patio table for me.  I'm glad I looked at them today because they were in bad shape.  The first thing I did was clean out my earth box.  My sister bought this for me years ago and I just love it.  It was very overgrown with weeds and other plants that seeded themselves in there.  I should have taken a picture before I began, but I forgot.  When I remembered, I was halfway through.  So it was much worse than what you are seeing.  The good part is that it was so easy to do.


I planted the tomatoes in there and watered them in really well.  Then I added my fairy garden back in.  My poor fairies and mushrooms had been buried in the weeds.  There is enough room so that when they get bigger and I want to add the cages, I can.



Next I moved on to the two flower pots I had there.  Last year I bought a hibiscus, but it didn't make it.  I ended up throwing the entire pink plastic pot out.  I guess I could have saved it and used it for another plant, but I am really working on not hoarding stuff.  The large pot was full of weeds too but again I forgot to take a picture.  Just know that both of them were in pretty bad shape.

It looks as if there are two little marigolds growing in the pot.  I kept them to see what they turn out to be.  Of all the pansies I got from church, only three survived the heat.  I added them and the three marigold plants I bought on Monday.  You can see the one that I dropped is in bad shape, but I think it will recover.  I watered them in really well also.  I found my little bird statue and put that in the pot for decoration.


Along the fence was a bunch of weeds and dead grass.  That got all pulled up and I changed out the garden flag.  The one I had was a bird house with the words "Welcome Friends" on it.  It had been used for so long that it was very faded and torn.  Into the trash it went and I put up this pretty one that I just got from Amazon.  It is burlap and two sided.  The other side will be used in August and September.


See the little cat statue peeking around the fence post?  I got that when my first cat, Fluffy, passed away.  Fluffy was the cat I loved the most.  She was my constant companion when I lived alone and she had many tears shed in her fur when my dad died.  I still miss her and this is my tribute to her.


Although I have eight rosebushes in the yard, they are mostly in need of pruning and so aren't blooming.  I did find these pretty ones though.



Way in the back I found the tiniest little red rose on one of the bushes.  It's about an inch across.  So cute but still so perfect.


I will end with a short little video that I took of the yard.  Hope you enjoy it.


Have a good day everyone!  See you all soon.

Kathy




9 comments:

  1. It looks like you got a lot done and no doubt you will get plenty of enjoyment out of your yard this summer. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You accomplished a LOT! Your fairies/mushrooms are so cute.It's so peaceful to listen to the birds...My yard is no where near yours, but I usually take Bella out with me & we sit & just ..Be". (Anna doesn't want to be still).Can't wait to see the finished yard. Stay coo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looking good! Hard work paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tiny red rose bloom is very pretty! And how great that you got to work in your yard and get your new plants planted. Take care of yourself! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the video of your backyard. You've energized me to get out and to do some weeding today. I'll plant my two tomato plants today too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your little video. Yes, you did get a good start with planting in those containers. I hope your plants do well. There is always a lot to do in a yard. Your roses are very pretty. I hope you get some cooler temperatures. We had a very cool and wet weekend, but temps are warming up again today. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your roses are beautiful. Gardening is a lot of work, but the rewards are all these gorgeous blooms. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Job security...hahahaha! You know, you got a lot accomplished. You are just right...a little each day will get it done. That and your green thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your garden. I'm sure yours already seeing improvements now that you've gardened it. My parents have been doing some gardening too and I love the way own garden is looking! 💜

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.