Tuesday, August 22, 2017

THE ECLIPSE


Lincoln City, OR eclipse

Did any of you see the solar eclipse today?  How much of it was available in your area?  Here in Philly it was an 80% eclipse.  Originally I wasn't going to be able to see it because I had to take Joe to a doctor's appointment, but he changed it to another day.

The day started out with bright sun and then got cloudy.


Then the sun came out.


Then it clouded up again.


I didn't have any glasses and never got around to making a pinhole viewer, so I watched it live stream from our science museum, the Franklin Institute.   It was amazing watching the sun be covered up by the moon and then reappearing.




You can tell the cameraman was using a filter because of how orange it is.  I made a short video for you too.


I also grabbed a couple of pictures off of our news broadcast.  They were much clearer.



Just ignore the date on the pictures.  I accidentally set it to the wrong month.  Duh.

Did you feel a difference during the eclipse?  It didn't get pitch black here, but it got dark like a storm was about to come.  It felt like a storm too.  All the air was somehow charged.  And I was in the house!
 
Now to try to get a few hours sleep before I have to get up to teach.  This is going to be a busy day.

Kathy

 

12 comments:

  1. I watched the clips on the news. While I know it's a big event,I wasn't all that excited about it. Maybe I'll feel differently in 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had glasses and throughly enjoyed watching the changes! You had a bit more coverage than we had. It didn't seem dark at all. We also had the weather channel on which was interesting.
    Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only 60% here and, no, I did not watch. I was out driving and trying to avoid the scene. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. We really got nothing here because it was so cloudy. It got a little darker was all, like evening dusk. I didn't notice any changes in the atmosphere and no headaches or funny feelings like others wrote about. Oh well....

    ReplyDelete
  5. We totally enjoyed the eclipse! It didn't get dark here either. Aidan says a total eclipse is on his bucket list....he's 9 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is going to be one beginning in Philadelphia in 2079. That's 62 years from now so Aidan would be 71. He might be able to see that one.

      Delete
  6. It was 99.7 here and so amazing to see. At first I wasnt going to watch, but so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched it on TV. I did run outside to take pictures of my flowers during the eclipse just to say that I took these during the eclipse, :), and at 2:23 when we were supposed to see it here, the cicadas got really loud then as the sun came out again, they shut up. It did get cooler but I didn't check the thermometer so I do not know by how much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We failed to get glasses too so we just watched it on TV. The sky didn't even dim a littler bit here! I was disappointed about that but it still was awesome! Go pick you some hydrangeas! Thanks for being such a sweet blog friend.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was pretty amazing! Here in Texas we only got shadows. I watched it on Tv though and was so glad to be able to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. At first I wasnt going to watch, but so glad I did.


    หีฟิต

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited,Thank you for sharing good topic.

    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.