Tuesday, August 15, 2017

MEAL OF THE WEEK: COD WITH BEET PESTO PASTA

Image result for COD WITH BEET PESTO PASTA

This was another wonderful meal.  I cut the recipe down to just two servings.  It came out beautiful except that the garlic clove I used was very... uh... pungent shall we say.  I could still taste the garlic the next morning.  Whew!  But that being said, and not all garlic being equal, it was so good and I would definitely make it again.  The only change I made was in the salad.  We are not big arugula fans, so I substituted spinach and used a touch of Italian dressing on the salad.

COD WITH BEET PESTO PASTA
Prep time:  20 minutes
Cook time:  15 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients:
8 oz. whole wheat spaghetti
1 (8.8 oz.) package cooked, peeled beets
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
3-4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 (4 oz) cod fillets
4 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1. In a large pot cook spaghetti aldente according to package directions.  Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Drain pasta, return to pot.  (If pasta appears dry, gradually add reserved water and toss to coat until moist.)

2. Meanwhile, for the pesto, in a food processor combine beets, garlic, walnuts and Parmesan; pulse until finely chopped.  With food processor running, gradually add 2 tablespoons of the oil, adding an additional tablespoon of oil if necessary. Process until smooth.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Add pesto to spaghetti; toss to coat.

3. Pat fillets dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper to taste.  Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.  Add cod to skillet; cook 4-6 minutes per side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.  Drizzle fillets with lemon juice.

4.  To serve, spoon spaghetti evenly onto 4 plates, top with fish and serve.

Per serving:  540 calories, 25g fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 60mg cholesterol, 620mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 7g total sugars, 0g added sugar, 32g protein

Make it a meal:  Serve with a pear and arugula salad.

5 comments:

  1. What a deliciously enticing dish.
    I love Cod fish, but seem to always eat the battered kind.
    I've never tasted arugula, but would give it a try :)
    Thank you for sharing your recipe, one I will bookmark !
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been eating cod every week. This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kathy, We eat a lot of cod fish and we think it is the best. I usually spray it with butter spray and sprinkle it with blackened seasoning then pop it in the oven as directed on the package. I also wanted to apologize for deleting your comment. It comes in my email and I was deleting posts from stores quickly....too quickly and deleted your post. I didn't mean to though. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really good! I like color on my plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had code this week as well and also served it with beets, which ere boiled, sliced and served over salad greens. This recipe looks wonderful and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.