Monday, July 16, 2012


This morning I went for my stress test.  I got there early, but couldn't find a parking space anywhere.  After driving around the parking lot three times, I went back across the campus to the Cancer Center and was able to find a parking place there.  Under a tree yet.  Then I walked through the building to the doctor's office.

I was not alone.  There were 8 other people getting the same test.  It seems that on Monday that is all they do.  One of the ladies there started talking to me and said I looked familiar.  She looked familiar too.  It turns out that I used to wait on her when I worked at the Tacony Branch of the library.  She is a crossing guard.  What a very small world.

I thought having had a stress test a year and a half ago I knew what to expectI was wrong.  The last time I was in the nuclear medicine department.  Now it is done in the doctor's office.

First they put an IV in my left hand.  The technician, Bob, wanted the right hand, but I couldn't because I had breast cancer on the right side and they can't use that arm/hand.  Then a tech named Ryan injected me with a radioactive isotope.  I had to wait an hour for it to go through my blood system.  During that time I had to drink water and eat something.  I had brought a banana, so I ate that.

Then Ryan took me in the back to do the first scan.  Before I had laid on a bed and the machine moved around me.  Now I was on a chair and I moved around the machine.

There was another 45 minute wait and then Bob took me to the first room I had been in.  He and a physician's assistant who was there wanted me to walk on the treadmill.  But I couldn't do what they wanted because of the bulging discs in my lumbar.  I was supposed to walk quickly (almost jogging) for 4 minutes.  I told him I could do 1 or 2 minutes (maybe) but I couldn't do it for 4 minutes.  So I got the chemical injection while I was sitting in a chair.

It was bad.  Much worse than the time before even though everyone in the room told me it was a milder drug than what I had been given before.  I had what I was told was a normal reaction -- headache, pressure in my neck, chest, arms, legs, rapid heartbeat, nausea, chest pain.  Not good at all.  This lasted for 4 minutes, then they stopped the drug and the things gradually went away. Except for being very dizzy.  Ryan then gave me another radioactive injection and I had to sit in the waiting room for another hour and drink more water.

Finally I was called back and Ryan did another of those tests in the chair with the machine that took pictures of my heart and I was able to go home.  I had been there from 8:30 to 12:30.  Most of the time I was watching the Today Show and Kathie Lee and Hoda.  I never watch those shows, but I got pulled into them.  I guess it took my mind off of what was going on around me.

Now it's just a waiting game to see what the results are.  I think I will be fine. Everything looked good.

I was feeling not all that great driving home, but was very hungry.  I called Joe on my new "toy" (I finally figured out how to use the car phone after a year and a half) and asked him if he could take me to get something to eat.  We ended up going to IHOP and getting breakfast.  I had two eggs, hash browns and sausage.  The technicians told me to drink caffeine after the test, so I had a cup of tea.  Joe had banana and strawberry pancakes that looked really good.

When we were finished I felt much better.  Fashion Bug is right next to IHOP and I said I wanted to look in the window.  I saw this beautiful white tunic and said how pretty it was.  Joe said he liked it too and I should get it.  I went in and found it in my size.  Right next to it was a rack of skirts that I also loved.  I found that in my size too.  So I splurged and got them.  Somehow shopping made me feel even better.  (Ha, ha!)  I had a hard time getting a picture of the top, but I hope you can see it.

 The top of it has all tucks.   And the bottom is all eyelet.

Sorry these pictures are so dark.  I hope you can get the idea though.  And here is the skirt I got.
It is kind of tie-dyed and has ruffles.  So pretty.   The thing I like about Fashion Bug clothes is that they fit me perfectly.  Even better because I used my card I got 25% off.

On the way home we stopped at the deli.  They were having a sale on turkey burgers, so that is what we are having for dinner tomorrow night.  It is my late night at work and they will be easy to make when I get home.

Finally our last local florist went out of business.  They are selling off all their little left over things.  This past Easter I bought a little boy bunny on a swing from them.  It turns out they never sold the girl bunny that is his mate, so I was able to get her for $2.  I also picked up a couple of bud vases for $1 each.  The people who owned the shop are lovely people and I will miss them.  Joe told Barbara (the owner) that we will have to get together and go to dinner with them.

When I finally got home, I took a short nap and my headache finally went away.  Well, for the most part anyway.

Now it's time to get dinner.  I am having steaks tonight.  I wanted to get the grill cleaned to cook them outside, but I'm just not up to it.  Besides, it's almost 100 degrees out so I think I will just cook them in air conditioned comfort inside.  They will still be good.


  1. Glad that test is OVER! Praying for a good report.

    A little 'retail therapy' is good for you! Eating out and shopping make everything better!!!

  2. I love how you know everyone's name! Bob, Ryan and Barabra. You must be one of the friendliest people around!
    Topping it all off with a cute outfit. Anything with eyelet I can't resist.

  3. @Linda, thank you for your prayers. You are right -- shopping and eating out DO make everything better.

    @Chris, I'm not the friendly one, Joe is. He knows everyone. He could have been a politician. In fact, I call him "the mayor". Ha!

  4. Eyelet is so feminine! It'll look
    really nice on you.I'm glad you gave yourself a reward after enduring the test. 'A spoonful of
    sugar' as the saying goes.
    Here's hoping the results are good!!

  5. I love your new outfit!! I love eyelet on a white shirt~my favorite style for summer. I feel bad for the yuckiness and unpleasantness you went through for your stress test! geeze! that stinks. I haven't had a stress test yet, and I am not looking forward to it!

  6. That top is really cute. Hope everything comes out all right with your test.


Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.