Thursday, February 1, 2024

THE ADVENTURE OF THE NEW MATTRESS


 

Hello friends and welcome to February.  Didn't January feel like a long month?  Everyone I know says so.  Even the news programs.  But in any case, it is a new month and time is moving on.  This month is going to be busy.  Lots of doctor appointments and unfortunately an infusion for me in the next week or so.  I am always sick to my stomach for a few days after that.  I get this infusion because the cancer medication I received years ago has made my bones brittle and the drug I am getting offsets this.  It is only once a year, so I can't complain too much.  I remember going once a week for a year so once a year is nothing.

Joe and I are redoing our house.  Well, we are beginning anyway.  It is going to be a long process.  We started by getting a new boxspring and mattress for our bed.  The boxspring has been broken for quite a while but it finally collapsed, and Joe was literally sleeping on the floor while I had to hold onto the side of the bed to keep from falling into the hole.  Time for a new one.

We had quite a time getting the boxspring up the stairs.  Our stairs turn and getting it around the corner was tough.  It was so heavy too.  But we did it.  We had to cut the box off of the boxspring which was another feat.  It took over an hour to do this.  And getting it onto the bedframe was another matter.  

Then we had to put on the mattress.  Actually, we waited until the next day to do this, putting the old mattress on for that night.  It was hard work, and we were bushed!  We aren't as young as we once were.

We were able to put the boxspring and mattress against the wall of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Society building across the street.  Joe is the Chaplain there.  One of his buddies came with his truck and picked them up the next day.  He took them to the dump for us so that we didn't have to wait until trash day to get rid of them.

What Joe figured out to do was to first bring down the old boxspring.  Not as hard going down the steps as going up!  I held all the doors open for him, helped him get it around the corners, etc.  Then he dragged it across the street.  Next was taking the old mattress off of the bed, putting it in a plastic bag, and sliding it down the stairs.  That was harder to do.  The box spring folded in half, but the mattress didn't.  What a time!  But Joe got that across the street also.

Next was getting the new mattress upstairs.  We opened the box, took out the mattress which was wrapped in LOTS of plastic and Joe literally "walked" the mattress upstairs.  He would put it on the step in front of him, go up one step himself, then put the mattress up to the next step.  When he got to the bedroom, he left it in the doorway and took a rest.  I offered to help him, but since my heart was misbehaving, he didn't want me to put extra stress on myself.  I had been doing too much.  After dinner he was able to get the mattress onto the bed.

Quite a time we had, but what a difference in our sleep.  So comfy.  It was time we did this.

You might think this was something, but there is so much more to tell.  That will be for the next post.

Happy February everyone.  Have a wonderful day and I will talk to you soon.

Kathy





4 comments:

  1. I am tired out just reading about this adventure! How nice though, to have a new comfy bed...everything is more difficult when you get older, isn't it? I can't wait to hear what else is going on...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy. Wow, getting your new mattress and box spring upstairs and set up sounds like quite an adventure for sure. So glad you got it done and are sleeping better now. I will look forward to hearing about and seeing what else you do to your home. I hope your infusion goes well and that you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy, Wishing you the best with your infusion. I don't know how you and Joe did it. I don't think I could move a mattress or boxspring upstairs by myself much less be of much help to anyone else doing it. I just don't have the strength. I'm glad that you and Joe have a new boxspring and mattress now:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a job! Enjoy the comfy. So glad Joe had a friend to cart it
    away. Prayers that all goes well with your infusion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.