Sunday, July 30, 2023

SISTERS VACATION TO LANCASTER COUNTY DAY ONE


 

Hello, friends!  Hope you are having a great weekend.  It is hot here.  But I guess it is hot everywhere these days.

For those of you who have been with me awhile, you might remember when I had a week away with my sister every year.  But these days we settle for a couple of days.  And our two days away were this past Tuesday and Wednesday.  We had such a good time.

I met Elaine on Tuesday morning in the Wawa parking lot near my house.  All the streets are torn up and there was no way I could explain to her how to do the detour.  So, I led her to my house.  I was all packed and ready to go.  It didn't take long to get us on the road.





I always love seeing how I-76 is cut right through a mountain.  You can see it in these rock formations.




We were hungry when we got out to the Lancaster area and stopped into Dienner's for lunch.  Dienner's is one of our favorite places to eat.  We like going on Tuesdays because the special that day is ham loaf.  So very good!  We both ordered it.  Elaine had sweet potato fries and cole slaw with hers.  I had broccoli and bread stuffing with mine.  I only got the stuffing because Amish bread stuffing is the best!



It was too early to check into the hotel, so we took a ride down to see Hershey Farm.  There was a huge fire there about six months ago.  They had to tear down the restaurant and gift shops.  They are rebuilding, but it isn't supposed to be reopened until the end of 2024.  It was so strange to see the hotel part standing by itself with part of the parking lot and the other buildings gone.




We left there and went to Elaine's favorite store, Antique Village.  She looked around while I sat in the car.  I kept looking at this one metal rooster garden stake.  When Elaine came back, I asked her how much it was.  It was only $14, so I bought it.  I am not a big fan of antiques unless it is something that came down through my family.  But this just spoke to me.  I didn't take a picture of it, but I am putting it in my yard very soon and will show it to you.

We headed to Rockvale Mall then.  There were only a couple of places we wanted to look at.  We started with Christmas Tree Hill.  I usually want to buy everything in that store, but this time nothing really spoke to me.  Very strange.  But then I don't need more things in this house.

We were heading over to Reading China and Glass when Elaine pointed out the sky.  It was quickly turning black.  We knew we were in for a big storm, so decided to head for the hotel which was only a block away.  We just got there, checked in, and the heavens opened.  We couldn't even get our luggage out of the car.  It was like a monsoon.  So we headed to our room to use the bathroom, etc.  In just a few minutes, the sun was out and Elaine went to get our bags.


It was still early so we decided since the storm was over to go back to the outlets and go through one of our favorite stores, Reading China and Glass.  My legs were hurting big time and I knew I couldn't walk through that huge store, but I also knew that a lot of good things are kept iup front right near the doors.  And I would have a cart to lean on to help me get through.

I was right.  The store had been rearranged.  When we were checking out the cashier told us it had been changed during covid when everything was shut down.  They had been wanting to do it for awhile, but this was the perfect time when the store was already closed.  Instead of a large part of the store taken up with cash registers, they are now in a row across the front of the store.  And there is a lot more food toward the front.  There were also all kinds of little gadgets, utensils, etc.  I got a little whisk that Joe was looking for to make scrambled eggs.  He was happy when he saw that.  I also got a Scrub Daddy and a Scrub Mommy, some popcorn jellybeans, and some Joe's Tea iced tea.  Sweet for me, unsweetened for Joe.  We also got bottles of water.  So much cheaper than in the hotel's vending machines.

We weren't really hungry, but needed to eat something.  It was around dinner time.  Many years ago we had tried the Waffle House for breakfast and didn't like it.  But we decided to give it one more try.  Elaine got a grilled cheese sandwich and hash browns.  It was awful.  I got an angus hamburger and hash browns.  It was super greasy.  The grease poured off of it onto the plate.  I will say mine was better than Elaine's which wasn't even cooked all the way.  The cheese wasn't even melted.  So two fails and Waffle House is off of our list of ever eating there again.

We went back to the hotel, turned on a movie to watch, and I went right to sleep.  I am not used to being up all day.  Alright, I admit to taking a nap every day.  I'm getting old.  I was tired!

That's the end of the first day.  I did get up around midnight, got into my pjs and brush my teeth, but that was about all once we got back to the room.  I tried to stay up and talk.  I really did.  *sigh*

I'll be back later with Day Two.

Have a great day.

Kathy





7 comments:

  1. Kathy, so glad to read about this sisters outing as you certainly deserve some enjoyment after all the recent medical issues you've been dealing with. The news of Vee's passing was sad to read, even though I did not know her as well as yourself. She sounds like she was a special friend to so many and she will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy, It sounds like you had a great start to your two day get-away with your sister. I wish your retry on the Waffle House had a better result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you have good time with your sister. I haven't been with my sister since March. We like shopping at antique shops or discount stores. I finally knitting a sweater for myself. Sad that Waffle House food isn't good anymore. Interesting that they are still open. I might have told a staff person that the food wasn't like it was supposed to be made. Phil and I went to Dennys for lunch after church today. We both got burgers and they were delicious, Phil getting onion rings. We both got different ones off the menu. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So g
    Glad you enjoyed your 'sister' time. You two were certainly busy!
    I would've been tired too. It's a shame about Waffle House. I think I
    might've sent the food back, especially the grilled cheese. Ugh!
    I know how much you like Reading Glass & China. Hope it was
    fun. Can't wait to read Day 2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when my sister and I can spend time together. I'm glad you were able to visit your favorite places...except the Waffle House! I'll look forward to your second day. I'm sure you have more adventure to add!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you had a good first day in Lancaster. I enjoy reading about all you do that is not so far from where I live! Rockvale outlets is changing a lot...not many stores there anymore. I go to the lee and wrangler store, look around in the QVC outlet, pick up some bread at Pepperidge Farms and usually look around in the Hanes outlet. Never tried Waffle House and now I know not to =))
    Looking forward to hearing more about your sister time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My relationship has been restored,


    My Ex-boyfriend is back after he broke up with me.


    I am the happiest lady on earth,


    Never too late to fix your broken heart.


    You can still get your lover back...


    Fix broken relationship/marriage...


    Thanks R.buckler11@gmail.com,,,,,,,,

    Rita Bowen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.