Friday, November 11, 2022

IT'S VETERAN'S DAY AND A HURRICANE IS ON THE WAY


 

Hello, friends!  Welcome to a cloudy and soon to be rainy day.  Hurricane Nicole is headed our way.  What a wonderful way to celebrate our veterans.  Not.  But we will make the best of it anyway.

Joe wanted to go to East Coast Wings for lunch to get his free veterans' meal.  But...  with the storm coming we decided to just take a ride over to Wawa and get either sandwiches or a turkey bowl and eat at home.

Still, I will put up our flag and remember those who put it all on the line for us.  Some who even gave their lives for us.  There are many veterans in my family and now that I have married Joe, even more men and women to remember.

My father, uncle, father-in-law and Joe were all Marines.  My brother David and many others in my family were in the Army.  My step-father was in the Navy and I worked as a civilian for the Navy.  My brother Mike was also in the Navy and so was my friend Paulette.  My brother Joe was in the Coast Guard.  And the farther back in my family tree I go, the more soldiers, sailors and Marines I find.  I am so privileged to have them as a part of my family.

Yesterday Joe and I went to Lidl to do our food shopping.  I really like Lidl even though I can't find everything I need there and still have to go to Shoprite for some items.  But we still save money by doing it that way.  Our Lidl is very small but packed with great stuff that you can't find anywhere else.  I like that it is like shopping in a European grocery store.

I should have taken pictures before I put things away.  But I did make a video which just went up on my YouTube page.  Here is the link.


The main thing I went for was the eggs.  My cousin had put up on Facebook that she paid over $5 for eggs at Shoprite.  I went searching and found them for $2.23 at Lidl.  We were able to get two dozen for less than the price of one dozen at Shoprite.  There was a sign on the door of the refrigerator where the eggs were that said there were supply chain problems with getting eggs and limited them to two dozen per customer.  

We were also able to get a turkey breast tenderloin.  I had never seen one before.  I'm sure you have seen the pork tenderloins that are sold.  This looked just like it except that it was turkey.  We got stuffing mix, gravy, green beans and cranberry sauce.  I'm pretty sure we are going out for dinner on Thanksgiving, but this is great for the next day because we won't have any leftovers.  If we don't go out, though, it will be a great Thanksgiving dinner.  Everything is still up in the air.

I am going to end now and start my day.  So much to do.  I's so dark in the morning now as well as in the evening.  Sunrise today is 6:41 a.m. and sunset is 4:47 p.m.  Only 10 hours of sunlight.  This is just the beginning.  It will get worse before it gets better.  How I miss the long days of summer.

Take care everyone.  I will talk to you soon.


Kathy





9 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the staircase & fall colors photo at the end! The one time I went to Lidl, I found it so different. You're right that there are
    quite a few things other stores do not have. Well worth a trip.
    I left Joe a salute when the news revealed the 10th was the Marines anniversary! Yay Joe!
    Russ & I often get the Wawa turkey bowls with mashed potatoes.
    As much as I like sweet potatoes, I think the mashed goes better.
    Russ got an email from Pastor & accepted their Thanksgiving dinner offer. He'd invited us to the house before & it never worked out for
    some reason.
    I agree about the dark. We try to leave the blinds open as much
    as possible.There is a bright side (I guess) that our doctor visits get
    us out in the sun & I get a smoothie! My favorite is called a Purple
    Monster with strawberry, blueberry & banana. Yum!
    I'll swing on over & check out your 'haul'.
    Have a beautiful day! Remember, raindrops can be mini prisms of
    a rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy. Please tell Joe thanks for his service. Lidl sounds like a good store. We don't have that store out here in the West. I remember getting food from Wawa. Wish we had Wawa out here! I hope you have a great Thanksgiving! Our plans for the day are also still up in the air. Have a good weekend. Stay safe in the storm. I plan to watch your Youtube video later today. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being as PA is my home state, I always keep an eye on the weather there. Sorry you are getting hit hard with the storm there. I found eggs for around $3 here yesterday. It's crazy to think a year ago we could get them on sale for 99 cents all the time.

    Have a wonderful weekend, Kathy. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eggs at my local grocery were $3.99 a dozen this morning. 🥴

    What a wonderful group of veterans to honor today, starting with Joe!

    Hope Nicole passes by uneventfully. She's supposed to show up here overnight and through noon tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do have lots of family who served! We have a Lidl store here but I've only been to it twice. Aldi is just a tad closer so that's where I go..plus there are TONS of other grocery stores that surround us. I got eggs at Aldi this week for around $2.30 and was surprised that no limit was posted. I got 5. We go through eggs! We are still deciding about Thanksgiving. It's coming fast, isn't it?!!
    Get ready for the cold that arrives tomorrow. What a shock after temps in the 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cost of groceries is crazy! Thank you for so many members of your family serving our country!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to Joe for his military service and your family members too. Patrick is a Navy veteran and he did a ham radio activation with another veteran on Friday. Hope you didn’t get too much rain from Nicole as we missed any but the weather was unseasonably warm near 70 degrees and in the 20s this Tues am. There isn’t a Lidl’s close by here although There is an Aldi but we have only been once. Looks like you found some good deals. Growing up, cranberry sauce always was jellied and in a can. Now, I make it fresh, easy and tastes better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank Joe for his service! The cost of groceries is just crazy but we have not had to pay $5 for eggs (YET). I am glad you seem to be feeling better and able to do things again. I hope you and Joe have a blessed weekend. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.