Thursday, June 30, 2022

TAKING A LOOK BACK

 




Hello, friends!  Hope you are having a wonderful end to this month.  By the time you read this, it will be the last day of June.  And how did this happen?  How is the year half over?  How is it summer already?  And almost Independence Day?  Ah, time sure passes quickly.

And this thought brings me to my post today.  I wanted to see how I celebrated July 4th in the past, so I read over my blog entries to see just what I had done.  How interesting!  I found that some things remained the same, while others had drastically changed.

In 2011 I got up early, did laundry and dishes.  Then I cleaned the house and had my friends Carole and Walt over for dinner.  Joe had a sore throat and actually stayed in bed while we all ate at the dining room table.  He finally came down and ate a little while staying far away from us so he wouldn't make us sick.  The post says I made a buttermilk crumb cake with peaches and blueberries.  I have NO recollection of that.  And I haven't made that cake since.  I must look it up and make it again since it looks delicious!


In 2012 I leaned over and threw out my back so spent the day in a lot of pain.  I couldn't move!  And Joe was sick again.  I did manage to do a load of wash and hang it on the clothesline outside.  But then my back was so bad that I couldn't take it down and put it away!  What a day that must have been.

To keep the sick theme going, in 2013 I had an absess in a tooth underneath a crown.  Oh the pain!  I made dinner for Joe but couldn't chew anything so I had juice.  And then we watched the movie "Oz, the Great and Terrible."

Finally in 2014 we were both well.  But tired.  I was still working at this point and could never get enough rest.  I slept until 11:00 a.m., but Joe slept until 2:00 p.m.  We had some leftover panzanella salad (I haven't had that in a long time!  Another thing I need to make.) for brunch and then went food shopping at 4:00 p.m. because we had nothing in the house for dinner.  Apparently, everyone else had the same idea because the store was crowded.

In 2015 I slept almost the entire day again.  I remember always being tired when I was working.  It was the beginning of my heart problems, but I hadn't been diagnosed yet and no one knew that is what was going on.  I did do a load of wash and made a dinner of hot dogs and potato salad.

2016 was a low key Independence Day.  I went to Rite Aid and Shoprite.  Who does that?

Finally, in 2017 I had a decent holiday.  My brother and sister-in-law had just bought their house, and they had an open house/barbecue.  Lots of food, friends, family and a wonderful time.


We had just gotten a new pastor in 2018.  His wife was away visiting family, so we picked him up and took him out to eat at East Coast Wings.  Another low-key holiday.

2019?  The only thing I wrote is that we had hot dogs for lunch and barbecued chicken for dinner.  That must have been an exciting year.

In 2020 I watched a couple of Amazon Prime series and had barbecue food.  Woo hoo!


And finally last year it was a Sunday.  We went to church, had a sandwich for lunch, and made a great barbecued pork dinner.  I also had a tooth ache and was looking forward to calling the dentist for an emergency appointment the next day.  Those teeth of mine like to act up around holidays.


I thought this was so interesting and I'm so glad I keep a blog.  It is like having my own online journal.

What are we doing this year?  You'll see.  But I'm not planning on sleeping in, doing wash and watching TV.  We are planning on going somewhere but I won't say more in case it doesn't work out.  Curious?  I'll be posting it.

Have a wonderful day.  I'll be back soon.

Kathy

8 comments:

  1. What a cool post. I need to take a look back and see what I was doing. Thanks for sharing and I hope you will be feeling really good this year and that your plans will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy. This was a fun post. I hope you have a very good and memorable July 4th this year! I always enjoy hearing what is going on with you. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh. That's a lot of misery on the 4th of July. I sure hope that this year is a huge improvement. 🍓

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's something that always goes down in life including holidays. Sometimes we're at the rodeo on July 4th. This year we'll be there this Sat. I hope you can have a better one this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun post! I'm excited to read about what you did this year. I hope it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoyed this post! Not the parts where you weren't feeling well
    but I did like all the food! If you can find the recipe, how about the
    crumb cake for church treat day? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post! It is interesting to look back even if we don't remember all of it happening. Can't wait to hear about 2022... Happy 4th, Kathy and Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever to go back and share your 4th of July hoildays!
    Enjoy this year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.