Thursday, May 31, 2018

A MEMORIAL TO OUR VETS WHO DIDN'T COME BACK

I know it's been a few days since Memorial Day, but thought I'd show you these photos anyway.  These were taken on Monday with Joe's camera.  And no, I haven't found either of my cameras.  Yet.

Joe told me that they would be doing the memorial service between 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.  So when I heard the noise across the street, I headed over.  Several other neighbors were there too.  I leaned against my car, walked up to the side fence, went to the rear fence, and hopefully got some good pictures.  At least I think they are good.

The police and firemen's pipes and drums came to be a part of it.


I loved the American flag and the MIA/POW flag against the sky.



All the names on the memorial were read and a bell sounded after each name.


Here is the memorial stone with all the names engraved on it.  So many lives lost in the Vietnam War.


The laying of the wreath.


They played "Amazing Grace" while the vets looked on.  Joe is the veteran on the right.


Then there was a gun salute.


And Joe standing alone at the end.


By the time he got home he was really tired.  He said his legs hurt from marching and his arms hurt from carrying a heavy rifle.  I told him he wasn't 20 and in the Marine Corps anymore.  But he is still glad he did it.  He won't have to march again until November for Veterans Day.

Kathy

7 comments:

  1. So many...who gave so much...Glad we have a day to honor them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got some good pictures of a very serious celebration. All gave some, some gave all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you are so proud of him....I am too. What a meaningful celebration! God bless our heroes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, It is nice that a small ceremony is held in your neighborhood. Glad you went and hope Joe gets some rest. Blessings and sempre fi, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful memorial. I hope you find your camera soon, although Joe's takes great photos. haha. You have a great day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its cool this ceremony is close for you. I went to a cemetery late afternoon to see and photograph the flags that are up for that day. Hopefully none of your cameras have pixelated away! Bummer to lose your new one. Have a good weekend!🌷🇺🇸

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice that your Joe got to participate and that you got some good photos of him and the proceedings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.