Saturday, February 10, 2018

THE BEGINNING OF A PANTRY MAKEOVER AND WHAT'S GOING ON TODAY


Poor little cardinal.  He looks so cold.  I'm happy to report that our cardinal couple has stuck around.  I see them all the time and I'm so happy they have decided to pick our neighborhood to make their nest.  Maybe I'll even get to see baby cardinals in the Spring.

This is going to be a short post because I am getting ready to go to a 40th birthday party for my neighbor and friend Chrissy.  It is a catered affair at a local restaurant and I am really looking forward to it.  Sounds like a lot of fun.

I wanted to share a few pictures with you.  First, I am making Joe a temperature blanket for his birthday.  He asked me to use his favorite color, blue.  I couldn't find enough different shades of blue to use so he said it was okay to add some green.  I went on Weather Underground's history page and found the temperatures for the first year of his life.  I began with his day of birth and will end on his first birthday.  So here is May 1958.


I would have preferred to knit it, but he wanted a crocheted ripple afghan.  And to see the smile on his face and his "I love it!" makes it worth while.  I am over half way finished with June and will show that to you when I am completely done.

We are trying so hard to declutter the house.  I must admit Joe is doing the majority of the work since my arthritis is really hurting me and I am having a hard time of it.  Living on pain killers is not fun.  We have SO MUCH to get rid of.  I don't know how two people can accumulate so much.  But you can see we are working by how much trash and recycling we put on the curb today.  Hurray for us!


The sky this morning was awesome as the sun came up.  It is supposed to rain this afternoon and tomorrow.  The third Sunday in a row that it has rained.  But at least it is not snow.  Temperatures are getting warmer and I think Spring is coming.



And finally, I am working on getting the pantry organized.  It is/was a mess.  I spent over half an hour just on the top shelf.  But what a difference!  Let's start with the before picture.


It doesn't look too bad, but everything was jumbled together and I couldn't fit all the cereal boxes in.  The open oatmeal box had just two pouches in it and a lot of the boxes were laying on their side in order to fit in.


I took everything out and put it on the table.  I couldn't believe how much stuff was in there.  I washed the shelf down with Mrs. Meyers Apple Crisp cleaning spray.  Then I became overwhelmed.  I got Joe out of bed and had him help me go through things, decide what to keep and what to throw away, and put things back.  I got a basket to put all my bagged mixes in.  I use these for Fellowship Time at church.  I make the treat once a month and these mixes are sometimes only $1 each.  So here is the finished shelf.


It looks so much neater and I can actually find things.  Some things got thrown out, some were consolidated, and everything is sorted -- cereal with cereal.  Cake mix with cake mix, etc.

Now just three more shelves and the storage unit over it.  I think I can do this.

I've not to run.  Hope you all have a good day.

Kathy

Weather in Philadelphia:
Mostly sunny/rain in p.m.
High:  50*F (10*C)     Low:  35*F (2*C)
Sunrise:  6:59 a.m.     Sunset:  5:30 p.m.
10 hours and 31 minutes of daylight


11 comments:

  1. You have done a good job on the shelves and from the look of the things on the curb, you have done a good job decluttering as well. Have fun at the birthday party today, and I love the temperature blanket so far. Yours is so much prettier than mine, but it is my first trial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun at the party! My pantry shelves are in need of a good cleaning and you've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, When we de-clutter...it's like a weight has been lifted from our shoulders. Good for you and Joe, getting rid of clutter and organizing your pantry too. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on the pantry shelf! It feels good to clean out and organize! Have fun at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your temperature blanket is beautiful and such a wonderful gift,,I can't think of a more beautiful gift, each time he wraps up in it he will be getting a loving hug from your hands.
    Good for you on the decluttering, great strat to the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What neat gift for Joe! Who knew you could find temps for the year you were born, so cool!!
    Have fun at the party. A nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon. It's raining and foggy here....but it's not snow or ice, of which we've had so much of lately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at your curb! Wow! So proud of you (& Joe!).The pantry is looking good. Couldn't believe how much stuff was on that one shelf! The basket was a neat idea. Enjoy the party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Downsizing and decluttering are work and you are making great progress, Kathy. We will be doing more of the same in our apt in a few weeks as the kitchen is being renovated and everything has to be cleared out. The blanket colors are looking great and looking forward to seeing the blanket when its done. And it isnt fun to have to be on pain meds. Hope you are feeling better when warmer temps finally arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It feels so good to get organized. I'm proud of you Kathy! Hope you have a beautiful Sunday too! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, great job on your decluttering. I have to ask, where do you find all these gorgeous pictures that you post?

    The cardinal is one of my favorite birds. I can't wait for Spring when I can get out and take some photos too. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying your photos. You have a great day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That afghan is going to be amazing when it is done, Kathy. What a labor of love for Joe!

    Decluttering is such a BIG job but once you are done it is a ot easier to stay on top of things. Good luck---keep going!!! You can do it, I know.

    I am glad your cardinals stayed- they are such a bright spot in the world, aren't they?

    I bet you are at church this morning and hope you hear a great message. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.