Monday, April 7, 2014

MOVIE MONDAY -- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS




2013 Film

The film focuses on the relationship between the Alabama's commanding officer, Captain Richard Phillips, and the Somali pirate captain, Muse, who takes him hostage. Phillips and Muse are set on an unstoppable collision course when Muse and his crew target Phillips' unarmed ship; in the ensuing standoff, 145 miles off the Somali coast, both men will find themselves at the mercy of forces beyond their control.
Release date: October 11, 2013 (USA)
Initial DVD release: January 21, 2014 (USA)
Awards: BAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Writers Guild of America Award for Best Adapted Screenplay
Story by: Richard Phillips, Stephan Talty

-----------------------------------------------------

Another good movie.  Joe and I are leaning towards true stories lately and here is another one.  I remembered when this event happened, but didn't remember the outcome.  Duh....  So it was thrilling for me to watch this.

So exciting.  I was trying to figure out what I would have done under those circumstances.  So clever those people were.

I thought the acting was excellent; Joe not so much.  I felt the characters were totally believable.  Even though I knew who Tom Hanks was, he got so into the character that I forgot it was him entirely and thought he was Captain Phillips.  Joe says it was Tom Hanks all the way through for him.  See, two people watch the same movie at the same time and still don't agree.  We do agree, however, that Barkhad Abdi was absolutely stunning as Muse.  It was his first acting job and he was up for an award.  He deserved to be too.

This is another must see movie if you haven't already.  If you have seen it, what did you think?


Kathy

4 comments:

  1. Kathy, sounds like a great movie. One of these days If , I can just feel comfortable leaving baby behind.
    My sister watched it and said it was great.
    I guess I will wait till its on blue ray.
    Have a blessed day~

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom and Dad watched this recently and they RAVED about it. Mom said it was a must watch in her opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I love Tom Hanks. I like him all his movies. Glad you liked it. Are you getting any Spring weather yet?? xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love almost everything that Tom Hanks is in, so this looks promising. We watched Saving Mr. Banks just this week and loved it! Such a moving story. Have you seen it?

    Took some time to nose around your blog...I see that you have a rescue cat (we have a couple too!) and that you work at a library (what a lovely place to work!). I love that your husband gives you a Ukrainian egg each year. What a wonderful gift...they are such works of art.

    Thanks for visiting me at Thinking About Home and introducing yourself! So nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.