Saturday, December 31, 2022

CHRISTMAS EVE AND DAY




 Hello, friends!  Sorry I haven't been around in awhile but I have not been feeling well.  Cold?  Flu?  Exhaustion?  I'm not really sure.  But I sure feel lousy.  We were invited to a party tonight for New Year's Eve, but I'm not up to it.  And to top it off Joe threw out his back at the grocery store yesterday.  We are a pair!

I'm going to start by telling you about Christmas Eve.  What a cold, COLD day.  When I got up it was 7*F (-14*C) with a wind chill factor of -11*F (-24*C).  It was so cold in the kitchen that I had to bring my breakfast into the living room where I had the fireplace space heater going to stay warm to eat.

We had to run some errands.  First the post office (it was up to 16*F (-9*C) by that time), then the bakery to pick up a Happy Birthday Jesus cake that we ordered, and finally to church to turn on the heat and set things up for the morning.  We didn't know what to do for lunch so while we were out and about we stopped off at Wawa and got some chicken noodle soup.  I am not a soup person, but it was sure good on that cold day.

I also wanted a snack, so I made some "Snowman" cookies from Pillsbury.  So easy to take them out of the package, put them on a cookie sheet, and bake them.

Christmas, of course, was a Sunday.  And I was running late!  I tried not to but...  Our pastor was away, and Joe was speaking.  And I had two people to pick up and get over there.  Donna lives about 10 minutes away so I went to get her first.  Then I picked up Rosemary who lives around the corner from us.

We got there in plenty of time, though.  Most of our regulars were there, with Rosemary as a visitor.  We had our cake and coffee and then started the service.  Midway through a visitor walked in who was looking for a church that was open on Christmas.  Some weren't.  And then towards the end there was a man who came in.



After the service some people went home and some of us decided to go to lunch together.  We planned to meet at the Ritz Diner.  But when we got there the parking lot was full.  The lines were long.  The place was packed.  We discussed it and decided to go to the Liberty Bell Diner instead.  It has been there a long time, but neither Joe nor I had ever eaten there.  It was a good choice.  We got seated right away and the food was delicious.  The service was great too.









Fish and chips


Fried scallops


Turkey dinner


Mahi mahi


I was very tired.  VERY tired.  I drove everyone home and then laid down on the sofa.  The next thing I knew it was 16 hours later and the next morning.  Wow!  I knew I wasn't feeling well, but I had no idea I would do that.

So that was my Christmas.  The next day was much better.  I went to visit my sister.  But that is a story for another day.

I hope you all have a wonderful New Year's Eve and Day.  I will do my best to be back here tomorrow with another post.

Until later...

Kathy






16 comments:

  1. In spite of being so tired, what a lovely Christmas Service. And what better than to spend it with friends. The food looked wonderful and the fellowship of Christian friends, priceless. Hope you will come by and visit me some time. Happy New Year to you and your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you needed that sleep! I had strep throat before Christmas and slept away most of three days with it before I felt normal again. Now I have a cold and it's not really that bad, but I've been dozing off and on all day so I guess my body knows what it needs. Wishing you a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as if you really need to rest. You are most tenacious, Kathy. Praying for better days ahead. I will not see the New Year in...💤 I'm wondering about you and Joe. I hope there are not too many fireworks. 🥴

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy! Sounds like your body needed a lot of rest, and I am glad you got it on Christmas Day. Sounds like you had a nice lunch with your friends from church. It's good that your church had services on Christmas Sunday and some visitors came. Our church also held our main worship service Sunday (Christmas) morning. I hope you and Joe have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking that I will see the New Year in behind closed eyes. Fireworks all over the place where I live, so they will probably wake me up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you must have really needed that rest. I sure hope you are feeling better. You take care of yourself and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful nap on a cold day...sounds perfect! Wishing you a happy, healthy New Year Kathy..take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year 2023. I have chosen BELIEVE as my word again...I had it a few years back. Thank you for your blog. I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a very cold Christmas Eve and Christmas day! I didn't want to go out at all. Glad you had a warm spot in your house and that soup was good! I am a soup person especially on a cold day. Happy New Year to you and Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy, hope that both you and Joe will be feeling better soon. Despite not feeling well, you did do a lot for the holidays. We are both feeling the onset of a cold as well, thankfully only nasal congestion. Sleep and soup are wonderful medicines.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope that you are feeling better Kathy, we have been recovering from COVID, the coughing is still a problem.
    Your food looks delicious, I'm sure you enjoyed.
    Wishing you both a Happy and Healthy New Year, dear friend.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Liberty Bell Diner looks like a nice place. Certainly the food looks delicious! That was a heck of a nap. Glad that cold weather is gone. Hope you continue to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was cold a week before Christmas but better on Christmas. We had ice late Thursday to mid Saturday Dec 15-17. A storm we've not had before. Different than Feb 2021. Megan went to our church here in town as church elsewhere was closed. We watched Christmas eve service online as it as cold outside and she didn't want to drive there. We had ham and potato salad for dinner on Christmas evening. Hope you feel better. Happy New Year to you and Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This new year is already speeding by! I do hope you're feeling better and if your area is like ours the weather warmed up a lot before Jan. 1st. So Happy New Year and best wishes for a healthy and happy 2023!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.