Friday, April 14, 2017

MAUNDY THURSDAY

Last evening we celebrated Maundy Thursday -- the evening Jesus and His disciples celebrated the Passover before He went to be crucified.  We had a special service where Joe presented a Seder showing how it displayed Christ (Christ in the Passover).  He did such a good job.  Yesterday was the first day he actually felt like himself again.  He is still blowing his nose a lot, but he is so much better.

I did not film it, but I took some pictures of what was going on.  I lit the candles and said the Jewish prayer but no one got a shot of that.


Joe reading the opening prayer and telling about the Seder plate.
 

And here's the plate.  It has six elements:  bitter herbs (parsley dipped in salt water to represent hardship and tears), horseradish, romaine lettuce, charoset (made with chopped apples, dates, apricots, raisins, walnuts and cinnamon) which represents the mortar used with the bricks the enslaved Jews made, a shank bone for the Passover lamb, and a roasted egg.
 

Joe did a really good job of explaining things to us.
 
 This is what the matzah was in.  I forget what it is called.  I know there is another silk envelope inside with a broken piece of matzah in it.  It represents the broken body of Christ.  It is hidden and then we had to look for it.



Carolyn was the youngest person there so she had to play the role of the child and ask the four questions.
 

Another shot of Joe.  He had lost his yamaka so at the last minute I quickly crocheted one for him.  And I do mean the last minute.
 
 Carolyn found the hidden matzah and Joe gave her money to redeem it.  He had to pay a price as Christ paid a price to redeem us.

It was all so fascinating.  After Joe explained the four cups of wine (grape juice in our case), he said this is where Jesus would have said, "This is my body...this is my blood" and we had communion service.

It was such a beautiful service and so meaningful.  I'm so glad Joe was up to doing it.  Now we are getting ready to go to church for our Good Friday Service.  I'll be telling you about that tomorrow.

Kathy




7 comments:

  1. Kathy, I am so happy that our Lord loves us. Blessings for a wonderful Easter. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so interesting....glad Joe was able to present.
    Wishing you a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a beautiful service. Good to see Joe was up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful service; wish I had been a part of it! Happy Easter to you and Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your service sounded very educational for the people who attended. We went to Good Friday services last night. I was amazed that the auditorium was packed. The men who did the drama of the six trials of Jesus were good. I had never seen that particular part of the Easter story done in drama before. They also served communion. It was a great service. Happy Resurrection Day to you and Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the Maundy Thursday service you went to. We went to a Seder last Sat that was at our church and Phil was the leader and I was the Mama. We've done it twice now. The horseradish sure is bitter and so thankful there was water on the table. It's an interesting lesson to learn from our Jewish roots, as I call it. We were grafted in. The bag is called Afikmoman that the matzah bread is in. I looked it up in our Haggadah we have from the Seder. Afterwards we had a Passover meal. Have a blessed Easter weekend, my friend. I'm glad Joe is feeling better. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful service. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.