Thursday, May 10, 2012

SPENDING THE DAY AT THE HOSPITAL (and I do mean all day)

Today Joe had three doctor appointments at the VA Hospital.

I made three doctor appointments for the same day so that I could take just one day off from work instead of going back and forth on several days.  It is all the way across the city from us and takes about 45 minutes to get there.  (Of course in rush hour stop and go traffic each way.)

I must have been out of my mind when I did this.  Remind me to NEVER book three appointments back-to-back again.  And if I do, send me to the 7th floor (the mental ward) and throw away the key.

We got there at 8:20 for his first appointment at 8:30.  I dropped him off so he wouldn't be late and then found parking.  We finally got to see the doctor at 9:10.  After that appointment, he had to get blood work done.  But first we went and had breakfast at the canteen.

We waited in the blood drawing room for about an hour, but had to leave without getting the blood taken because his next appointment was due.  

So we got to that doctor's waiting area at 1:45 for his 2:00 appointment.  This doctor is really good and sees him right away.  After 45 minutes with this doctor we go and get lunch at the canteen.  Then we look around the PX for awhile, but don't buy anything.  They have very, very good prices in there, so if we want something we usually get it.  But nothing was striking our fancy.

Back to the blood drawing room and this time he is taken right away.  Then on to doctor number three.  This is in the same place as doctor number one.  The secretaries were, "You're back?"  Yeah.  Doctor number three was only 10 minutes late seeing us, but gave us a lot of time.  We left at 3:30 and were heading home in bad rush hour traffic.  We didn't get home until about 4:30.

Unfortunately for me I haven't been getting enough sleep.  I was so tired.  When I'm tired my heart starts acting up -- skipping beats.  Then my blood pressure went up.  My legs were hurting so much from walking around.  Each doctor was completely across the hospital from the next one.  We must have walked about three miles in the hospital itself.  I was a mess.  I took a nap when I got home and am feeling so much better now.  It was just a very long day. 

One or two doctors -- yes.  Three or more -- no, never again!


  1. Your talking the VA.I'm surprized you don't hava migrain after all that.
    Hope everything went well for Joe.

  2. I was exhausted just reading it!
    Wow! Well,the old saying is live & never again. I just hate having to learn the hard way.
    Hope Joe got good news on all exams/blood work.

  3. Marion, I ended up staying home from work today with a migraine. You're not kidding!

    Debbie, some meds were tweaked, but all good news.

  4. I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon.

  5. That was definitely brave of you!!! Hey at least those appointments are over with now though. That is a good thing.

    You better start taking care of yourself lady. You are IMPORTANT, you have to remember that. Get some extra rest this weekend if possible.


Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.