Sunday, February 17, 2019

SUNDAY PRAISE -- HOLY, HOLY, HOLY LORD GOD ALMIGHTY


Hello, friends.  You know I am sick when I tell you that I am not going to church today.  I am feeling some better, but I am not going to spread my germs among my friends.  I will just sleep here instead.  But that does not mean I let my responsibilities go.  I made up the church bulletin yesterday and Joe gave it to Pastor this morning when he went to church for the bi-monthly Men's Prayer Breakfast.  Eight men showed up for the breakfast which was wonderful!

So I do know what the opening hymn is today and it's a favorite of mine -- Holy, Holy, Holy.  And I'll bet most of you could sing this along with me now.  (If I could sing with this cold.)  Let me tell you the background.  Since I am not 100%, I just got all of this information from hymnary.org today instead of going around to several websites like I usually do.

The words were written by Reginald Heber.  He was born in 1783 into a wealthy and educated family.  He was very intelligent, translating a Latin classic into English at the age of seven.  He entered Oxford University at age 17 and won several awards for his poetry while a student there.  After his graduation he became the rector of his father's church in the village of Hodnet near Shrewsbury in the west of England.  He was rector there for 16 years.  He was appointed the bishop of Calcutta in 1823 and worked tirelessly there for three years until the weather and travel took a toll on his health and he died of a stroke. Most of the 57 hymns he wrote are still sung in churches today.

The tune is called Nicaea (Dykes) and was written by John Bacchus Dykes in 1861.  He was born in Kingston-Upon-Hull in 1823 and died at St. Leonards in 1876.  It was first published in the Evangelical Lutheran Hymnal in 1908.

And now let's listen to this beautiful hymn.



Have a blessed Sunday.

Kathy












8 comments:

  1. Really smart to stay home this morning....but I’m sure you’d rather be worshipping with your friends. Rest lots and get better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a wonderful way to start the morning...listening to that great hymn. Another day of rest will be very good and, if everyone would employ your good sense, these colds and sickness could get nipped in the bud. Saying a prayer for you as I tiptoe away...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are feeling much better soon. My cold still lingers a bit but at least the worst of it is over. I'm glad you decided to stay home and not share the germs. Take advantage of this "down time" and read a book. You have a wonderful day my friend, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear you are feeling better, Kathy. Bless your heart. Being under the weather is no fun at all.

    The song you shared is truly beautiful, one of those hymns I cherish deeply. I was just thinking of all the money artists and songwriters make today. With how popular this song is and how many times it is played... It is priceless!

    Take care! Blessings, Net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you are not feeling well Kathy. I hope you and Joe are better today. It snowed here this morning. Oh sweet girl, I am so over nasty winter's weather. LOL. Ready for flowers and sunshine. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless your heart! Sorry you are still I’ll! Wishing you a good week and that you get totally well and stay that way! And Joe, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful hymn! You were missed at church. Hope you feel better soon. I like the photos you start your blog with. The hearts looked so pretty & today's is beautiful. Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.