Monday, December 27, 2010

CHRISTMAS EVE

I've been away for several days, so haven't been posting.  But I want to catch up.  I'll start with Christmas Eve.

We were going to my sister's for Christmas.  She lives 2 hours away, so we stay overnight.  I had planned to leave at 2 p.m., but you know how things are.  One more thing to do, and then another before we can get going.  So we ended up leaving at 4:30 p.m.  That put us driving in the dark.  I don't like to drive on those back country unlit roads in the dark.  Everything looks different and I lose my bearings of where I am.  But God was good and got us there safely.

We had a wonderful chicken dinner and I was able to eat a lot of it.  It was so good I'm afraid I overdid it a bit and my stomach hurt.  But I kept it down and that's a good thing.

We always have Christmas crackers on Christmas Eve.  Crackers are decorated cardboard tubes that snap loudly when the ends are pulled.  Inside is a paper crown (which you have to wear through dinner), a joke, and a toy.  I got a purple butterfly barrette.  Joe got a pirate eyepatch.  I forget what Elaine got.  Here's my joke:  Q.  What does the word minimum mean?  A.  A very small mother.  (groan)  I had pictures of us in our crowns, but they all turned out bad, so I got rid of them.  Just trust me, we wore them.

Elaine's church had a Christmas Eve service starting at 11 p.m. and lasting till midnight.  Since we got up there so late we had missed the 7 p.m. service, so we went to the late one.  It was really nice.  The best part is at the end when everyone makes a circle around the church, all the lights go out, and everyone has a lit candle.  We all sing "Silent Night" and wish each other a merry Christmas.

So then it was home to bed and a very deep sleep until morning.

Joe

The table with our Christmas Crackers

Cody hoping Joe will slip him a treat from the table.

My sister's beautiful Lenox nativity

Joe got the Pirate Eyepatch in his cracker, but I stole, I mean borrowed, it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.