Monday, July 13, 2020

SOME HELPFUL HINTS


Hello, friends!  Welcome to another week.  I always feel good at the start of the week, looking forward to all I have in front of me.  This week I am working on cleaning and decluttering the bathroom.  Let's see how much I can get done.  I have tons of wash to do too.  Does wash seem to get away from anyone else?  It sure seems to pile up for me.

Our weather has been so hot.  I don't remember having so many days over 90*F. last year.  We are supposed to have a little break this week with the temps staying in the 80s.  Let's hope so.

I saw at least 3 buds on my tomato plants this week.  I hope I actually get some tomatoes.  Lots of times I get the buds and that's it.  Or the tomatoes are so tiny it's almost not worth picking them.  I have great hopes this year.  And we have had so much rain that I don't even have to water them.

I was going to show you another magazine today but...  I laid it on the floor and Jack decided to claw it to bits.  When I went to pick it up to take a photo of the cover it was in shreds.  So I just threw it out.  Oh, Jack!  You are such a...  a... boy!



I was able to save two pages.  One was on making brown butter.  And the other was on Easy Substitutes which I thought I would share with you because it's so helpful.

It says:
Don't despire when you run out of a key recipe ingredient and the pantry holds only its distant cousin.  This handy chart will help you replace the missing item.

AIOLI:  For 1/2 cup stir together 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 1 large garlic clove minced.

APPLE CIDER:  2 tbsp.  Combine 2 tbsp. apple juice and 1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar.

BALSAMIC VINEGAR:  1tbsp.  Combine 1 tbsp. cider or red wine vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon sugar.

CAKE FLOUR:  1 cup.  Remove 2 tbsp. from 1 cup of all purpose flour.

CAPERS:  For 1 tbsp. use 1 tbsp. chopped green olives.

CHILI OIL:  1 tbsp.  Whisk a few drops of hot pepper sauce and/or red pepper flakes into 1 tbsp. olive or vegetable oil.

CHIVES:  Substitute an equal amount of snipped green onion tops.

CILANTRO:  Fresh -- Substitute an equal amount of fresh parsley.  Dried -- Substitute equal parts of dried parsley and coriander.

CREME FRAICHE:  For 1 cup combine 1/2 cup of whipping cream and 1/2 cup of sour cream.  Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.  Chill for longer storage.

EGGS, LARGE:  If you have only Jumbo eggs -- for one or two eggs substitute one egg for each egg called for.  For three or more, use the number called for minus one.  If you have only Extra Large eggs -- up to four eggs substitute one for one.  Five or more use the number called for minus one.  If you have only Medium eggs -- Up to three eggs substitute one for one.  Four or more use the number called for plus one.

HERBES DE PROVENCE:  Mix together at least five of the following dried spices:  basil, fennel seed, lavender, marjoram, rosemary, sage, savory or thyme.

MOLASSES:  For 1 cup substitute 1 cup of honey.

SAFFRON:  Substitute an equal amount of tumeric.

SESAME SEEDS:  Substitute an equal amount of finely chopped blanched almonds.

TOMATO PASTE:  For 1/2 cup, cook 1 cup of tomato sauce uncovered until it is reduced to 1/2 cup.

VANILLA EXTRACT:  Substitute an equal amount of almond extract plus a pinch of cream of tartar.

I wish I had known about the tomato paste trick two weeks ago when I needed it.  I will have to remember that one.

Hope you all have a nice evening.  Off to make dinner.  We are having apple fritters.  Yum!

See you soon.

Kathy

12 comments:

  1. Kathy, Those are nice hints. I laughed about the cat. You and Joe stay cool. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple fritters, wow that sounds so good! Hope your tomato plants produce some tomatoes for you. Fresh tomatoes are hard to beat!
    Stay cool! Today felt better here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy,
    Great list!. I had to laugh about Jack when you said he's such a a boy.....LOL.. and yes! It seems every time I turn around these days I have more laundry to do and it's only myself and my husband. Where does it come from! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like those hints! I decided against tomatoes this year after all the money I spent on the dozen or so I harvested last year. 😏 Enjoy the cooler temps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy. Great hints! Thanks. I love the picture at the beginning of your post. Apple fritters sound wonderful. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Jack's expression! Like:who me? So handsome! I'm blessed (I guess) with no laundry worries. As soon as I accumulate a 'load,I toss it in. It may get a day or two behind when I change the bed or do towels.Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting substitutes - thanks for info. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The substitutions are nice to know. Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a beautiful day my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jack is still adorable! Your substitutions are rather interesting. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its quite warm here. In mid 80s. Interesting recipe. I just got a Taste of Home magazine in mail that I didn't order. Not subscribing but will look thru and know I'll use it. I have PW mag and a photo mag. Enuf! Hope your tomatoes grow so you can eat them. Take care!💜

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our weather here in Ohio has been hot off and on also. We could some of that rain however! I've had to rely on substitutes a few times and these are good ones. Your cat reminds me of our cat that passed away a few years ago. Same coloring but Squeak was a girl and not interested in shredding anything! Have a good rest of the week and I hope those fritters were good, they're one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The apple cider trick is actually really smart. Some really helpful hints!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.