Saturday, July 4, 2020

INDEPENDENCE DAY




Hello, friends!  Hope you all had a wonderful day.  I am sitting in the living room watching wonderful fireworks through the front window.  I went outside on the front step and took a video to show you.


Then I decided to zoom in a little to see them better.


Of course now that I am inside the big fireworks are going off.  Oh well.

It was a rather low key day for me.  I have been watching a series, well a couple of series, on Amazon Prime.  The first one I watched was "Pioneer Quest: A Year in the Real West."  This is part of a series by Frantic Films and like the rest of them takes place in Manitoba, Canada.  Well, they are a Canadian documentary series after all.  It was on the History Channel and PBS in 2001 although I never heard of it.  I loved it and if you get a chance to watch it, I highly recommend it.  When I found there were more, I had to watch the next one.

I finished the second series today... "Quest for the Bay."  This is from 2002 (although it was filmed in the summer of 2001) and was also on the History Channel and PBS.  It follows an 8 person volunteer team (7 men and 1 woman) as they attempt to recreate the journey made by fur traders of the Hudson Bay Company during the 1840s by traveling from Winnipeg to Hudson Bay in a York Boat.  They had all kinds of hardships and had to repair their boat over and over.  Twice it was almost destroyed in white water rapids.  They lost most of their cargo.  They had very little food to eat and lots of hard work.  I could not have done what they did.  So very interesting!  Tomorrow I will start the third series, "Klondike: Quest for the Gold."

It was in the 90*F range again today and will be for the foreseeable future.  We did not eat outside.  But I did make a special dinner for us.


Barbecued chicken, deviled eggs, pasta salad and potato salad.  Everything was good.

Jack was in his usual place begging for food.  And who can resist that face.  Yes, he got some chicken.


I even wore my USA shirt.


It was a strange day, but then this whole year has been strange.

I always like reading the letter John Adams wrote to his wife, Abigail, on July 3, 1776.  The Declaration of Independence had been ratified the day before so actually we should be celebrating Independence Day on the 2nd.  Here's what he wrote:

"The second day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the history of America.

"I am apt to believe it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival.  It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn acts of Devotion to God Almighty.  It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

And so it is.

Until later...
Kathy







12 comments:

  1. I love this post, and seeing the fireworks in Philly! That is about all the fireworks I will see tonight. No fireworks to speak of around here due to wildfire danger, and of course, the pandemic. Your hair looks so cute, that is a good picture of you. Your dinner looks delicious. We were going to go out and get Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches to celebrate today, but both our favorite Philly Cheese Steak places were closed, so we ended up with Arbys. Disappointing - just like this year. Oh well. Glad to see you are doing well and celebrating Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog today! We saw fireworks out our front & back doors though they were a bit too loud for our pets (& us too to be honest). Food looks delicious & LOVE your potato salad! Jack is soooo handsome! The quote & banner is best ever ending to you blog. Stay safe pawsitive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 4th to you and Joe also! 🧨 🇺🇸 God bless America! Love the T-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy, it’s been awhile since my last visit. Thanks for sharing the fireworks display. There were no official ones in Nashua, but lots of ones going off all around the mill apts. my efforts to take a couple of photos didn’t turn out well. We also stayed home and our holiday dinner was burgers, salad, and veggie slaw as a change from coleslaw. Thanks fir sharing the letter from John Adams to his wife. Unfortunately, we are living in very different times now with no such celebrating in so many places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to see the fireworks in Philly! Thanks for sharing them with us. There were lots in our neighborhood last night, but they worried me more than anything...it's so dry here that one spark in the wrong place would be big trouble! I think maybe I watched that Pioneer show years ago on DVDs that I borrowed from our library. I loved it! I'll have to look up Quest for the Bay. It sounds interesting, too. Love that letter from Adams...and that he thought first we should celebrate with devotion to God. Thanks again for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your meal looks so good and glad you were able to see fireworks. I heard them but didnt see them. It is too hot to be outside very long at a time, but then I will be complaining when it is too cold! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. That meal sounds so delicious! Happy Fourth of July weekend, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks festive and celebratory! I decided that I would not stay home when I had been invited to my sister's so my day was full and celebratory. The fireworks went off to all hours and I smiled and felt happy throughout. I had a very good view from my kitchen window.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your lunch looked very good. I like your hair too. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ours was low key, too. But our food wasn't nearly as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the letter you shared written by John Adams. I'd not heard of that one. We had yummy food too. Close fireworks outdoors I didn't think would happen. Glad you had a good 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had family here and enjoyed the 4th with a cookout even though the temps were a bit warm! We watched fireworks from a distance although not from the house. You had a good vantage point! Have a good week and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.