Tuesday, November 5, 2019

MONDAY MAGAZINE ON A TUESDAY



And that's how it feels for sure.  As November came in so did winter.  How cold it feels these days.  Especially in the early morning and at night.  When the sun is out it sort of warms up for awhile.

I was going to write this post yesterday, but I was so busy and then I sat down after dinner to write my lesson for Bible Study today.  And... I fell asleep sitting up with my hands on the keys.  I woke up hours later that way too.  I finally got the lesson done, although not printed out.  I love my Bible Study but I am glad the winter break is coming up in two weeks.

We had a good time at Bible Study yesterday at the Nursing Home.  We had 8 ladies show up.  A man was passing through the room before we began.  He was on his way to the outside porch.  He started talking to Joe and Joe was able to witness to him.  I hope he at least thinks about the things Joe was saying.

Let me get to the magazine today.  It was another Reader's Digest from September 2019.



It was a very good issue.  I especially like "The Teacher Who Changed My Life."  You never know when the things you do or the words you say will make a lasting impact on someone.  It was interesting to read about the middle child too.  I never realized that because a lot of people are opting to have only one or two children, there aren't many middle children anymore.

There was a sweet little story about an 11-year-old girl named Ruby who goes to nursing homes, talking to the residents and asking them if they could have anything, what would it be.  Thinking it would be something like world peace, she was surprised to learn it was things like McDonald's French fries or a visit from their dog that was now living with relatives.  Little Ruby arranges for people to get their wishes.

So many good articles, but let's get to some laughs and cute little stories.

LIFE IN THESE UNITED STATES:
My mother and I suffered through an overlong, confusing movie at an art theater.  Apparently we were not the only dissatisfied patrons.  Walking back to our car afterward, we overheard a man complain to his wife, "We left the dog home alone for that?" - Michele Burgess, Huntington Beach, California

I WON!
Was this a contest?  Sort of.  I bought travel insurance for a trip to London from a company called Squaremouth.  When I got to the seventh page of the contract, I saw a paragraph that said, "It pays to read."  It gave directions to e-mail a particular address.  They called the next day and said I'd won $10,000.  During the 23-hour period before I e-mailed them, 73 policies had been purchased and I was the only one who had read that far. -- Donelan Andrews, age 60, Thomaston, Georgia

LAUGHTER THE BEST MEDICINE
My dentist told me I need a crown.  I was like, I KNOW, RIGHT? -- Twitter@ swishergirl24

IT'S ALL IN A DAY'S WORK
Hundreds of Indian passengers were stuck aboard a train for two hours after the conductor abandoned his post.  Turns out he was hot, so he went home to take a cold shower. -- from India Today

Yeah, when I was working I should have tried that one.

Hope you enjoyed this and you all have a great day.

Kathy

11 comments:

  1. I love the conductor going home! Wish I'd thought of that excuse. The story of Ruby sounds precious. Imagine having such a simple request as McDonalds! Your post started my day with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I like those little quips. I love to laugh. My daughter recently took a hiking trip in Canada. While at a sight with a pretty view, she asked a couple to take her photo...the husband sure and starts to use his own phone..his wife said,"No with her phone." My daughter smiled, but I don't know how she kept from laughing. We laughed about on Saturday when she told it to me and her sister. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s funny, Susie! It sounds like something I might have tried. Ha!

      Delete
    2. Susie, send that in! It's hilarious!

      Delete
  3. Fun stories! Oh I have fallen asleep bolt upright and it doesn’t always work out so well. It’s like balancing a bowling ball on my neck. Ha! I am not surprised by the wishes of nursing home patients. I finally feel well enough today to drive to see my sister-in-law in a nursing and that’s the first question that I shall ask her. I hope that it is something that I can easily accomplish. Life in a home is not an easy one.

    Bless you and Joe for the work that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this magazine. It's one of the few that I still subscribe to. When I finish reading it, I pass it along to my daughter. Sometimes I fall asleep sitting up with something in my hand. Usually a magazine or some crocheting. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the little funnies! And yes...I'm thinking about Christmas decorations this morning. Time flies! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, it is amazing how quickly one month flows into another!

    Interesting how the requests of the nursing home residents are simple pleasures . .. some that we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an angel you are, serving the Nursing Home with your Bible Study. And then Joe! Again, you two are so serving to others!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking we should get a subscription to Readers Digest again =)
    God bless you two for the joy you bring those nursing Home residents!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.