Sunday, August 4, 2019

SISTERS GET-AWAY - DAYS #3 AND #4


Hello, friends!  Well, vacation is finally over but what a wonderful time we had.  After a couple of days at home, I traveled to northern New Jersey to spend two days with my sister, Elaine.  We had so much fun.

I got up there around lunch time on Friday and she had made some wonderful deviled eggs.  Oh, how I love deviled eggs.  I just can't make them as good as she does.

After we ate, we sat out in her yard for awhile and talked.  There were lots of butterflies, all different kinds, flying around.  I haven't seen so many in years!  I LOVE butterflies and this was wonderful!  I couldn't get any pictures, but I sure enjoyed seeing them.

One looked like this:
Image result for black and blue butterfly

And another like this:

Image result for yellow and black butterfly

It was a hang around the house type of day, but we ended up going to Cracker Barrel for dinner with our friend, Frank.  I didn't take a picture of dinner, but Elaine had trout, I had a grilled pork chop and Frank had chicken fingers.  There is no bad food at Cracker Barrel.  At least the ones I've been to.

We loved the fireplace there so I got a shot of it.  We were sitting right next to it.



After we ate, the people next to us had left and we were looking at the wall.  I took out my camera to get a few shots.  The manager came over to us.  We were all sure that he was going to tell me to get rid of the pictures, but instead he began to tell us about the things on the walls and how Cracker Barrel has a warehouse with these things in.  Each store must have 8 original items and the rest are reproductions that the manger chooses for his restaurant.  He was so nice and so interesting.  You can meet wonderful people anywhere.





We looked around the store for a bit after we ate.  I bought a pretty white t-shirt with a peacock on it accented with beads and sequins.  I wore it on Saturday.


I also got a pomegranate Burt's Bees lip balm and a fall fragrance packet for the bathroom.

We watched some TV when we went back to Elaine's house and then it was time for bed.

Saturday morning Elaine made the most delicious breakfast for us -- scrambled eggs and sausage.  We needed a good meal because we had a big shopping day in front of us.

Elaine had some gift cards to Barnes and Noble so that is the first place we went.  I got a journal, a coloring book with pictures of Paris, Beverly Lewis' new book and a board book for Hadley for her birthday.  All free to me!

Next we went to Marshalls.  If I had the money, I could have bought a lot in there.  As it was, I got a pretty white camisole, a tin bucket with Black-eyed Susans for fall decorating, and a three hook hanger that I've been looking for to put by the front door for Joe's hats.  They are laying all over the place and this will give him a place to hang them.

I had to use the bathroom, so Elaine took me to ShopRite.  While we were there, she picked up a few things and I got to see where she shops.

Finally we went to a thrift store at a place called 11th Hour.  It is a pet rescue organization who saves animals who are about to be euthanized.  All the proceeds from the thrift store help support them.  There wasn't much there today but I did find a beautiful wreath for $1 that is now hanging on my front door.

We went back to the house and I played with Ace for awhile.  His favorite toy is a ball.  He will choose who to bring it to and you must throw it for him to chase.  Notice I say "must."  It is not your choice.  He will do this for hours.  But he is so cute you don't want to say no.




Elaine made us BLT sandwiches for lunch.  The tomatoes she used were so good!  And we got a chance to sit outside in her beautiful yard.




Ace has one blue eye and one brown eye.




There were more butterflies and I tried my best to get a photo but all I got were the beautiful Rose of Sharon bushes.





The tomatoes she is growing are getting so big!  She has it well fenced off because the deer that come into her yard would eat them.  I was hoping to see some deer, but no luck.



All too soon it was time to go home.  Vacation was too short this year.


In two hours I had left the country behind and was back home in the city.  But I was glad to be home too.  Another Sisters Get-away is in the books.  And now to look forward to next year.

Kathy




9 comments:

  1. Love the peacock shirt! I really like thrift stores & that it helps animals,win-win! Ace is so precious....I couldn't say no either. Glad you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, When you get pictures of Elaine, she is always happy. Glad you had your sister time. I sure miss mine. This week, while Ted is getting his chemo, my g.daughter will be with him and I can go see my sisters for a bit. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see the resemblance between you and your sister and she sounds like a wonderful person. I had read that before about Cracker Barrel and their wall art. I hardly ever see butterflies anymore. It is really kind of sad, isn't it?

    Hope you have a great day- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun you had! What a blessing to have a good relationship with your sister! She is a pretty lady...and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Love, Love, Love your "Sisters Get-Away"!
    You cram so much into your days, eat fabulous meals, and share a special bond with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely time you had! Sister time is soooo good. I know it's hard to photograph butterflies....I can't get any either. Or the hummingbird that flits about our canna lilies =) Yesterday I had a BLT for dinner. Told hubby that's the best summertime sandwich....he's not a fan though.
    Take care and enjoy the 'last' month of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy! I've enjoyed reading about your summer fun. Your sister vacation sounds so nice too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new shirt, and I think you just decided what I'm going to have for my supper tonight. A BLT. I love them! I think it's awesome that you and your sister had such a wonderful time together. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great time spent with family. I love when my sister and I can get together and just do simple, fun things! I'm glad you made it home safe and sound..enjoy the rest of the summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.