Thursday, June 20, 2019

BACK TO THE HOSPITAL


Hello, friends!  I am really tired today having just spent 11 hours in the Emergency Room.  Joe wasn't feeling well.  I called the doctor and he had left for the day.  Then I called the hospital for the doctor on call.  She talked to him and then said after surgery sometimes blood clots develop.  Since he was having shortness of breath, she said we should go to the Emergency Room to have some tests done.  So I put the stuff for dinner back into the refrigerator and off we went to the hospital.  We got there about 6:45 p.m. or thereabouts.  I dropped him off and then went to the parking garage.

I met up with him in the ER and we waited awhile for a room.  Once there it was monitoring, testing, and doctors and nurses looking at him.  It turned out we stayed there for 11 hours.  I was guessing it would be 12 but was glad to leave an hour earlier than I thought.  Joe was able to doze off now and then, but I was awake the entire night.  I got really groggy at the end because I had been up for over 24 hours.

The doctors and nurses were great.  Especially Joe's nurse Stephanie.  I started feeling so nauseous since I hadn't eaten since lunch so I went to a vending machine and got a bag of pretzels.  I was so proud of myself because there were chips, cakes and candy there.  I looked at everything and knew I didn't eat any of that anymore.  The pretzels were the best choice.  But they really take your money.  A tiny bag was $1.05!

The result of all the testing was Joe was OK.  He was experiencing effects from the gas they used for the laparoscopic surgery.  We left as the sun was coming up.  At least I didn't have to drive in the dark.

We stopped at Wawa on the way home and got breakfast sandwiches.  Joe could eat his right away, but I had to take my medicine and then wait an hour, take another pill, wait half an hour and then could eat.  Then I fell asleep on the sofa and have just recently woken up when the phone rang.

The surgeon called to see how Joe was.  He said he had the test results in his hands and everything was fine.  So we are very relieved about that.

But now I have to get a move on because Debbie's husband is coming over to put our air conditioner in.  Just in time for Summer tomorrow.  It is very hot in here.  And humid.  We ran out of time to do this before Joe's surgery and now he can't lift anything for four weeks.  So Rusty very generously said he would do this for us.

I have no photo challenge pictures for you.  I'll catch up the rest of this week.

The adventure continues.  Let's hope today is better than the last few have been.

Kathy




6 comments:

  1. I'm glad it was only the gas from surgery, but having experienced that before, I know that's no picnic, either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh you’ve both had a trying few days, I’m so glad the surgery went well and now you can both rest! Continued good health and healing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry Joe got so sick. I hope you are both resting at home and getting better! What an ordeal! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear Joe's issue was resolved. You both have had quite a time these past few days. Well,summer's here! You both deserve a treat! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a time you two had. I can't imagine being awake that long then having to drive home.....you are one strong lady!! May the rest of his recovery be smooth sailing ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh NO! Poor Joe and YOU! The hospital isn't fun to begin with but to spend 11 hours there... not fun!
    You have some great friends, don't you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.