Monday, February 25, 2019

WHAT I'M READING 2019/03 - CALL THE MIDWIFE BY JENNIFER WORTH (2002)


CALL THE MIDWIFE: A MEMOIR OF BIRTH, JOY, AND HARD TIMES by Jennifer Worth


I'm sure most of you are familiar with the PBS television show "Call the Midwife."  But before it was a show, it was a book.  A very good book.

This is the first of a trilogy of books by Jennifer Worth describing her work as a district nurse and midwife in the East End of London during the 1950s.  She wrote this book after retiring from a career as a musician which she began after she left nursing.  It was originally published in July 2002.  It was reissued in 2007 along with the other two volumes of this series and became a best seller.  By the time of Jennifer Worth's death in June 2011 it had sold over a million copies.  In 2012 the BBC made an adaptation of the books and this boosted their sales even further.

The book is set in Poplar, a neighborhood in the East End of London, where Jenny Lee (Worth's maiden name) works as a nurse and midwife attached to an Anglican convent.  The story is split between chapters describing birthing mothers and their sometimes traumatic experiences and more light-hearted incidents back at the convent.  The names of the convent and of the characters are all pseudonyms except for Cynthia who remained her close friend for the rest of their lives.

(Credit to Wikipedia for all this great information.)

I bought this book for my Kindle at least 2 years ago.  Maybe more.  I loved the show and was always going to read it someday.  Well, I read it.  I read it in four days.  I couldn't stop reading it.  The stories are so close to the show.  I am currently watching season one of the show on Netflix and at one point I was almost able to read along because the dialog was word for word what was said in the book.  This was one of the best books I have ever had the delight to read.  Why did it take me so long to read it?  I am waiting until I get paid so I can purchase volumes 2 and 3.  I highly recommend this book.  But be aware that there are definitely parts that if you have a weak stomach for blood and medical procedures this is not the book for you.



8 comments:

  1. I love the show on Netflix and glad you enjoyed reading it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cool that the book followed the story (or vice versa?).Sometimes the two are so different. I'm currently reading the Chronicles of Narnia (all 7 books in 1).It's too big to tote around but I love reading it at home.Glad you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're enjoying the book. I haven't read it, but I just might watch the series on Netflix. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of the TV series Call The Midwife and it's one of those soaps that I've never seemed to watch. I never realised there was a book before the show. Perhaps I'll give it a read now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen the TV series. Now you make me want to read the book. I'm putting that on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to watch some of this series but didn't like the doctoring stuff! lol Here I am to give you ALL my thanks sweet friend! My blog is BACK today! And you are the very first blog buddy that posted all my craziness! You really helped to get the problem out there to our friends and that made all the difference! Thank you for always being there for me...your love and support means the world to me! Sweet sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow I love that show on Netflix. I bet the book is just as good. Do you enjoy Kindle? I am really wanting to buy me one but I love the smell of books.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s why I do not enjoy the series...too squeamish am I!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.