Wednesday, January 16, 2019

WEDNESDAY MEDLEY - NATIONAL DO NOTHING DAY




Hello, friends!  Welcome to a bitterly cold morning here in Philly.  I woke up and can't go back to sleep so thought I would do the Wednesday Medley this week.  Thanks to Terri from Your Friend in Florida for these questions.



Wednesday, January 16th, is National Do Nothing Day!!  National Do Nothing Day was proposed in 1972 by columnist Harold Pullman Coffin.  This day has been observed annually since 1973.  Of course, the way to celebrate is to do nothing!

1.  To commemorate Do Nothing Day in SOME way, tell us something about your life (or the life of someone close to you) in 1973!!
I had graduated from high school two years before.  Right after graduation my grandparents became ill so instead of working, I took care of them and the house.  My sister was graduating from high school that year and my grandfather passed away the summer after her graduation.  It wasn't the greatest year for me, but I was with the ones I loved and wanted to take care of.  I learned a lot about taking care of a house and cooking too.

2.  Now that we are thinking back, please tell us what your favorite pastime was as a child.
There were so many things I liked to do as a child.  I loved all kinds of crafts.  I loved playing in the huge yard we had.  I loved playing dolls with my sister.  But I think what I loved most was reading.  (And I still love books!)

3.  What is the best way to cheer you up on a bad day?
The best way is to leave me alone.  I rarely have "bad days" but when I do just plop me down in front of the TV and let me chill.  I usually am OK in an hour or two at most.

4.  How old were you when you first started dating?  Do you remember your first date?
I was 19 years old.  My first date was a walk in the woods at the Schuylkill Valley Nature Center with my boyfriend and his two kids (ages 4 and 3).  Our favorite thing to do through our entire relationship was to hike.  Often we had his kids along.

5.  Today is also National Fig Newton Day.  Do you like figs/Fig Newtons?
I have never had a fig.  Hard to believe isn't it.  It is for me too.  However, I love Fig Newtons.  The other day in Shoprite there was a woman giving out samples of fig and orange jam.  I loved that too.  So I guess I like figs!

6.  Tell us something random about your week.
Wednesday is always the busiest day of my week and today is no exception.  This morning I have to get Joe to the doctor's office for a fasting blood test.  This afternoon I help lead our Youth Group at church.  Then it's hurry home to eat and get back in two hours for Bible Study.  Thank goodness not every day is a Wednesday.  The rest of the week looks pretty calm!

Thank you, Terri, for putting together these great questions.  Please check out her blog to link up with the others who are answering the Wednesday Medley questions today.

Hope you all have a great Wednesday -- one a little less hectic than mine!

Kathy



9 comments:

  1. Interesting questions and so are your answers. It is fun to get to know others through questions like these. Happy Wednesday and hope you get everything done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you husband.

    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful (and unusual) thing for a young woman to do! I am sure your grandparents and the rest of your family were very grateful for your selflessness and what great memories you probably have of your time with them and the things you got to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 64 days? I was just thinking that we were in for a lot more winter yet. Sounds as if your day will be a do plenty day just as 1973 probably was a do plenty year. That was quite a sacrifice for a young girl just out of high school. Love is a powerful motivator. Have a good day no matter how busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do so much for others, Kathy! I hope you have a beautiful day! I think you would like a ripe fig right off the tree...they are sweet and yummy! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so enjoyed your post, Kathy. And wow, your Wednesday is indeed busy! Like Diane said, you do so much for others...what a blessing.

    Happy New Year to you! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~~***Do nothing day***~~
    We all need a day like today. Especially YOU! I'm tired just reading what you have to do today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting questions....I like fig newtons. Cheer me up? Being with my dog or any dogs!Pastime? Reading,dogs & taking a walk. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your answers, Kathy. Do you know whatever happened to your first boyfriend and his kids? I am so glad that you were able to take care of your grandparents. You are a good soul.
    Have a blessed Thursday and hope it is a quieter day for you. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.