Friday, January 4, 2019

CATCHING UP -- NEW YEAR'S EVE AND NEW YEAR'S DAY


Hello, friends!  Hope your 2019 has been wonderful for you.  I've been having a hard time of it so far, but hope it will change really soon.  Today would be nice.

But enough of that.  Let me tell you about the New Year's holiday.  On New Year's Eve I got up early and by 7:30 a.m. I was on my way to Shoprite.  I needed some things for the holiday dinners and I was not going to fight the crowds later in the day.  I have found that going at 7:30 is the perfect time.  There are some people there so the parking lot isn't deserted, but not so many that it is crowded.  The cashiers and other store people are just starting their day, so they are rested and happy.  Most of the time I even get a bagger because the person at the next register will come over to help if there is no one in their line.  I'm going to try to go there 7:30 every Tuesday (Senior Citizen discount day) to do my shopping.  

After that I spent much of the day sleeping.  For some reason I've been really tired all the time.  I'm thinking the doctor may need to change my thyroid medication.  I just couldn't stay awake.  

But I did get up to make a typical New Year's Eve dinner -- poached salmon and asparagus.  It was so good.  

We didn't eat a lot because right after dinner we headed to our Pastor's house.  He and his wife have an open house each New Year's Eve and invite the whole church.  Only four of us showed up and there was so much food!  Tons of it.  Carolyn had even made a Yule Log.  Then there was all kinds of chips and dips and crackers and cheese.  Believe me if you went away hungry it was your own fault!  We were the last ones to leave and we left around 9:30 p.m. so it wasn't a late night.


We recently got a smart TV and have been enjoying watching YouTube on it rather than regular TV channels.  So after looking around for something decent to watch on TV, I ended up putting on YouTube and watching "New Year's Eve with Guy Lombardo" from 1957-58.  I was 4 years old when this was first broadcast.  What a blast from the past!  Right before this we had watched an old "What's My Line?" from December 31, 1950 where the mystery guest was Guy Lombardo and that's what gave me the idea to look it up.  It was fun seeing it.  How the world has changed and not always for the better!  (Although I do like my modern conveniences.)

On New Year's Day I just took it easy again.  I watched all of the Rose Parade and began to watch the Mummer's Parade from here in Philly.  I really enjoyed it, but it's 7 hours long and I still haven't finished watching it.  But what is New Year's Day in Philadelphia without the Mummers?  Nothing!









For dinner I made a pork roast, mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts.  We had left over birthday cake for dessert and finally finished it up.  Everything turned out good.

Now it's a new year with so much promise before us.  We have been very fortunate with our weather.  It got up to 61*F (16*C).  Although it has gone down to the 40s (4-6C), it is not like last year when it was below freezing.  I'll take this kind of winter any time.

My brother Larry started a webpage yesterday to show his photography.  It is fantastic and I am not just saying that because he's my brother.  I told him I would share it with all of you.  Click HERE to check it out.  If you like beautiful photos you won't be sorry.

I finished my temperature blanket yesterday.  I am just putting the border on now and then I will show it to you.  It has been hard with the torn tendon in my hand (and very painful) to finish but I wanted it done.  I have a plan for this year's blanket and am just waiting for the rest of the yarn to show up in the mail for me to begin.

Now it is time for me to start my day.  I got up at 7:00 a.m. and took this picture of the sunrise.  I am going to try to take a sunrise picture each day this month to show you.  Let's see if I can.  But here is today's.



Have a good day, everyone!  Until later...

Kathy




12 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good new years eve at your Pastor's house and hoping you will feel much better in the new year as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sunrise! We didn't go anywhere for New Years Eve this year. Your gathering at the pastor's home sounds so nice. Not sure I'd be able to get anywhere, at least not looking decent, by 7:30!! I applaud you!
    Have a great day, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a wonderful New Years Eve. When I have the energy, I like to do my shopping that early in the morning too. Your brothers photos are wonderful. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The parades are always so special! And we like watching some of the football games too! Happy new year sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your meals sound delicious. Poached salmon....I've never had that before.....
    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your brother's website is quite nice, as are his photos! My Joe watched part of the Mummer's parade on his computer (he is from the Philly area). Fun stuff! I taped the Rose parade so I could watch it after I finished cooking. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always make the most delicious food! I never had poached salmon but I'd try it. Sorry to hear you're so tired. Hopefully tweaking your meds may help.Here's looking forward to a new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photos on your brother's website are amazing. Hope you're a little better now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for linking to your brother’s photography site. His photos were a joy to see.

    You continued to knit with a torn tendon in your hand? You’ve got grit or something! I find those temperature blankets fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kathy, hope these first few days in the New year will find you feeling a bit less tired, but as you said, it may be due to the meds you're taking. Shopping early is always the best plan and your New Year's Eve sounded nice and peaceful, like ours. We invited a couple of neighbors to our apt for dinner. Thanks for the link to your brother's photo website which I will be checking out next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year, Kathy! Sounds like you've been keeping busy already in this new year. I rang in the new year with my family. We always keep it rather simple and play games and such until midnight. The New Years shows on TV were awful and worldly. We talked and shared, which was much better than TV anyway.

    I'm off to go check out your brother's pics! That was so sweet of you to share!

    Blessings & Happy New Year to You! Net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopped by your brothers web page - WOW! His pictures are wonderful. I'll be back to peek in again.

    So your typical New Year's Eve dinner is salmon and asparagus? Whet a great idea!
    Happy New Year! Looking forward to seeing what comes your way this year, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.