Sunday, December 9, 2018

BLOGMAS DAY 9 -- SUNDAY PRAISE: CELEBRATE IMMANUEL'S NAME



Welcome to another Advent Sunday Praise.  Again this is a hymn I have never heard of.  It is Celebrate Immanuel's Name.  I had to look it up on YouTube to hear the tune.

It is another Charles Wesley hymn.  If you remember last week I told you he wrote about 6,500 hymns so I'm not surprised that we would have a second one.  This hymn was first published in 1762.  Since I told you so much about Charles Wesley last week, I'll just move on to the music.

The tune is named "Amsterdam" and is attributed to James Nares.  He was born on April 19, 1715 in Stanwell, Middlesex, England and died on February 10, 1783.  He is buried at St. Margaret's, Westminster, England.  After his family moved to Oxford, Nares became a chorister in the Chapel Royal.  He later became deputy organist at St. George's Chapel, Windsor; organist in York Cathedral (1734); and organist in the Royal Chapel and composer to the king (1756).  He received a doctorate of music degree from Cambridge University in 1756.

And now let's listen to this pretty hymn.


Have a wonderful Sunday!

Kathy






6 comments:

  1. Beautiful hymn! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kathy, for sharing this dear Christmas hymn. All the old Christmas carols are the best! There's always such deeper meaning in each line.

    Merry Christmas to You! Net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always interesting, Kathy!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A new one for me too.
    Wishing you a restful night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A new one to me and so I listened and read along and am amazed at all the sound doctrine packed into those words. Hope that you had a pleasant and restful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.