Monday, December 24, 2018

BLOGMAS DAY 21 -- IT'S CHRISTMAS EVE!



Hello, friends!  The above passage from Luke has been the theme of my Christmas this year.  Yesterday morning in church my Sunday School class (and the Youth Group) lit the fourth Advent candle, recited this scripture and then sang Silent Night.  These are kids who have come from an unchurched background, who just recently heard about Jesus (and not using His name as a curse) and in just a few months have come so far in their understanding of who He is and what He did for us.  I am excited to spend the next few months with them going over the life of Christ in our class.  And this passage was also the theme for my lesson yesterday -- the shepherds who found Jesus.

For Fellowship Time Joe and I brought a "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake and we all sang Happy Birthday before eating it.  Joe and I have done this for years together but sharing it with the church was special.  Several people stopped me after church to tell me just how special that was to them.  One man told me he had never thought of it that way and what we did was awesome!

After church we stopped at Shoprite and got lunch.  I had fried chicken legs and potato salad and Joe had a hoagie.  I have been very bad in my diet and I'm sure my weight has gone up.  It is very hard to do a diet during this time of year because everyone is shoving goodies at you, so I am going to go with the flow and start anew the beginning of the year.  I have a doctor's appointment on January 19th and want to have lost at least another two pounds by then.

I am still working on my cleaning, baking, wrapping, etc.  I don't think I have ever been this far behind before.  My main problem is how much pain I am in this year.  If you are not experiencing the pain, you don't understand just how hard it is to function.  People who look at you don't see the pain so don't know just how badly you feel.  So I press on and hope to get as much done as possible.

Last night Joe and I brought our friend Donna to the Christmas Candlelight Service at church.  It is the first one we have been to with Pastor Ralph.  Usually we are at my sister's house on Christmas Eve and go to her church.  But this year she is working both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  On top of that, our service was moved from Christmas Eve to last night.  It was a beautiful service.  Too bad more people didn't show up.  They really missed out.  I took a few pictures for our church's website, but I'm going to share them here as well.  It was hard to take good shots because everything was dark.

The church was pretty with all the candlelight.  There were candles in the windows also, but the shot I took of that was completely black except for a little white dot.


There was lots of singing led by Pastor.


Since it was too dark to read a hymnal, the words were projected for us.


Rusty lit the Advent Candles and the Christ Candle.


Debbie read the scripture.



The manger leads to the cross.  Something we should all focus on.  Jesus was born to die.


Pastor gave a beautiful message so full of meaning.


The true meaning of Christmas is Christ.  He will be there even if I don't get all the cleaning, baking and wrapping done.




After the service Joe and I took Donna, Debbie and Rusty to see Greeby Street.  They always have the greatest light show.  Joe and I go several times during the season, but I knew these three living so far from it would never see it on their own.  It was a wonderful thing to do for them.  They were amazed and loved it.  I want to get back there one more time before the lights come down and get pictures.  I have driven down the street three times now, but you really need to walk it to get the good shots.

Here is one picture from a few years ago.  It's even bigger and better now.


If I want to get things done, I must end this now and get on with my day.  I hope all of you have enjoyed Blogmas 2018.  I am taking tomorrow off to spend with my family but will be back the day after with lots more pictures to share.

Joe and I wish each and every one of you a wonderful Christmas!  Thank you for your friendship, caring and love.

Kathy




10 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking Russ & I to see the lights. It was spectacular!! You're right that we wouldn't have seen it otherwise. Sharing is the best gift ever!
    I am so glad I we went to the service. It touched my heart.
    We both wish you,Joe & all the bloggers a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas!
    I have the pain and can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, I’d love to see those lights! So pretty! How special of you to share it with your friends.
    Glad you got to experience a Christmas Eve service at your church this year.
    Take one day at a time....pain IS a big deal. I don’t often experience it but I’ve had intense back pain before and even though it was quite a few years ago my memory of it is still fresh!!
    Merry Christmas, Kathy and Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you both! What a blessing you are to your neighborhood and community....and to all of us! Holiday hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We wish you and Joe a wonderful Christmas, Kathy. You have managed to do a lot despite your pain in making others happy. I hope you will be feeling better and get a chance to relax and enjoy the holiday. Merry 🌲Christmas & all the best for 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas to you and Joe!! Have a blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope that you feel better, Kathy. It is not easy living with pain. I am behind, too. Very. Have a very blessed Christmas. You are so right. We have Him if nothing else and He is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pogo and I wish you and Joe a Blessed and very Happy Christmas. Wow, what a beautiful light show! Enjoy your holiday, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. May the magic of Christmas fill your heart with warmth and love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Blogmas was great this year. Well done! Glad that your church group was so successful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.