Sunday, December 23, 2018

BLOGMAS DAY 20 -- SUNDAY PRAISE: GOOD CHRISTIAN MEN, REJOICE!



Hello, friends!  It's almost Christmas -- the fourth Sunday of Advent.  Today's opening hymn in church is Good Christian Men, Rejoice.

The words to this carol are from a 14th century Latin Hymn.  The words were translated by John Mason Neale.  Dr. Neale was born in London on January 24, 1818.  In 1836 he got a scholarship to Trinity College where he was named "Best Man of the Year."  Dr. Neale translated hundreds of ancient hymns, saving them for us today.  The article I was reading on him from hymnary.org went on and on about all of his accomplishments.  More than I've ever seen them do on anyone else.  I will have to take some time and read all about him.

The tune is titled In Dulci Jubilo and is a German folk dance tune from the 14th century.  In the late medieval period, there was a tradition of using folk songs to teach illiterate church-goers the Gospel story and this hymn is a good example of that.  Because it uses both German and Latin in the lyrics, it would be familiar to those singing it both as their song and a song of the church.  Because it was set to a familiar folk tune, people could easily sing it and understand the story.

Over the centuries, this hymn has been translated into many languages.  The diary of an unnamed missionary tells us that on September 14, 1745 at the Moravian mission in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, this hymn was simultaneously sung in thirteen different languages.  What a wonderful thought that we can sing the same song with our brothers and sisters in Christ around the world.

And now, here's a video of the hymn.  I could not find one I really liked, but of all I saw this was the best.


Christmas is coming!  Have a good Fourth Sunday of Advent!

Kathy



7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful hymn! Everyone should be rejoicing in the birth of our Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and Debbie...everyone should rejoice at the birth of Jesus Christ!!
    Go.. singing...rejoice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful melody with the gospel clearly spelled out. I loved learning about Mr. Neale and his role in preserving hymns. And I loved these words: He has opened Heaven’s door...Christ was born for this.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying all the history you're giving us about these wonderful hymns. You have a wonderful evening, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas dear Kathy, to you and your family. Thank you for the song, I didn't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just followed you Kathy! I was shocked when I noticed that I wasn't following you, I thought I was. Well, I'm such a scatterbrain.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.