Monday, November 12, 2018

VETERANS DAY




Yesterday was Veterans Day in the United States.  A day when we remember not only the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I, but honor all veterans from all wars.  There are so many veterans in my family.  From back in the Revolutionary War to the present, the men and women in my family have answered the call to duty.

We had a guest speaker at church yesterday.  I didn't get to hear him because I was teaching Sunday School, but I was there for his Communion meditation and it was excellent.

I had one new girl in my class.  She had come to the Youth Group last week and I was happy she liked us enough to come back.  I'm up to four students now.

After church Joe and I went to East Coast Wings and Grill for lunch.  Joe's lunch was free because he is a veteran.  I think restaurants who do this are so wonderful to remember those who left home and gave up so much to protect our country.  Of course there was a limited menu to choose from but Joe got a rather large cheeseburger and fries.  I got my usual five wings with Harvest Apple sauce and a small salad.  He got regular iced tea and I got mango iced tea.





When we got home, the Ferko String Band was marching down the street across the parking lot from our house.  I grabbed my camera and Joe and I ran out to see them.  I got a short video but it's rather jumpy.  If you can get over that, take a look -- or at least a listen.



I was so tired that I laid down on the sofa and fell asleep.  I slept the entire afternoon and part of the evening.  Wow!  I didn't know that I was THAT tired.

Today I have to get ready for Bible Study tomorrow and Joe is preaching at the Nursing Home.  Then Rick, Joe and I are heading for King George II Inn for dinner.  They, too, are offering a free dinner to all veterans.  We haven't been there since Joe's birthday party in May, so I'm anxious to have a meal there.

I have started cutting way back on my carbs, so I looked at the menu online this morning.  Then I went on an app to find out how many carbs, sugar and fat it has.  I know just what I am going to order.  I am being hard on myself, but I am weighing myself today and then next Monday and see if I have lost weight by being strict this week.  If I have, I think this will be a new way of life for me.  It's hard to give up foods that you really love, but this is my life and my health here.

I have to run now and get ready to go food shopping and then the Nursing Home and dinner.  Hope you all have a good day.

Kathy



3 comments:

  1. I too think it's wonderful that some of the restaurants are giving free meals to our veterans. Enjoy your dinner and have an awesome day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've been a busy bee! Lets us know how the carb reduction goes, I would like o lose a few pounds and I wondered if that really worked,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.