Sunday, November 25, 2018

SUNDAY PRAISE -- LIFT HIGH THE CROSS



The opening hymn this morning is "Lift High the Cross."  I have never heard this hymn before.  This is unusual for me because I know so many hymns.  Joe calls me the walking hymnal.  But this I had never heard before.  It is a beautiful hymn.

"Lift High the Cross" is a 19th century English hymn written by George Kitchin in 1887 and revised in 1916 by Michael R. Newbolt.  The hymn was written for the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel.  It has been said that Kitchin was inspired by the story of the conversion of the Roman Emperor Constantine.  It was written as a festival hymn and first performed in Winchester Cathedral.  It was revised in 1916 for publication in the Supplement to the publication "Hymns Ancient and Modern."  It was at this time that it was joined with the tune "Crucifier" by Sidney Nicholson.  It is often used during Lent or Holy Week but is also used as a processional or recessional hymn at the beginning or end of a worship service.

"Lift High the Cross" was first published in the United States in 1974 by Donald Hustad in "Hymns for the Living Church."  Since then it has appeared in a number of hymnals outside of England.

George Kitchin was born in 1827 in Naughton, Suffolk, England and died in 1912 in Durham, England.  His father was a minister.  He attended King's College and Christ Church College in Oxford.  In 1883 he became Dean of Winchester and went on to become the Dean of Durham in 1894.  In 1908 he was appointed Chancellor of Durham University.

Sir Sydney H. Nicholson the composer of the music was born in 1875 and died in 1947.  He was an English choir director, organist and composer.  He is mainly remembered for founding the Royal School of Church Music.  He was born in London and educated at Rugby School, New College, Oxford and the Royal College of Music.  He was knighted in 1938 for his contribution to church music and is buried at Westminster Abbey where he was organist for many years.

So this hymn has a great legacy and yet it is new to me.  And here it is for you to listen to.


Have a wonderful Sunday!

Kathy



10 comments:

  1. A beautiful hymn! I have not heard it before either.Thank you for the history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a new one for me too.
    God bless your Sunday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...I am eager to listen...not published here until 1974...no wonder I have not heard it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it! Fabulous words and beautiful musical arrangement...loved the fanfare!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely hymn. I've never heard it before either. Thank you sharing all the history. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorites, thanks for posting these beautiful hymns!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely. I had never heard it either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not heard that song either, Kathy! I missed last two Sunday services...missed the music for sure! Good to sing again this week, til my throat clogged a bit. Still having allergy issue. Got some hot tea between services and it helped as I was helping Phil teach 4/5 grade boys one last Sunday this month. Now I'm resting a bit before working on my blog. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for introducing me to this beautiful hymn. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They used to sing this in the church I went to as a child. I have not heard it in years and years.
    I hope you had a blessed Sunday! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.