Wednesday, August 8, 2018

WHAT I'M READING -- RUNAWAY AMISH GIRL: THE GREAT ESCAPE (2018/8)

About a week ago I was blog reading and saw that Crystal from "Homemaking on the Homestead" recommended a book that she had just read.  It was Runaway Amish Girl: The Great Escape by Emma Gingerich.

21417866

It is the true story of a Schwartzentruber Amish girl who leaves to live life in the outside world.  This is not the order of Amish I have met and I was very surprised by just how strict they are.

Summary:
Growing up Amish and leaving the fold, Emma Gringerich left her Amish community in Eagleville, Missouri, at the age of eighteen.  Her memoir Runaway Amish Girl: The Great Escape captivates even the timid reader.  Disagreeing with the beliefs of Amish traditions and upbringing, the pressure became too much for her to bear.  Forced to make a personal decision, Emma found the courage to leave the only life she had ever known.  She had no idea the emotional turmoil she'd inflict on her family and friends.  The emotional reaction of her parents, brothers and sister, are gut wrenching.  Considered no longer a daughter and a sister, temporarily exiled, Emma finds a way to be free.  Education becomes her priority as she finds her place in this "English" world.  This true story is a rare glimpse into the life of a brave young woman -- Runaway Amish Girl:  The Great Escape.

My view:
I loved this book even though parts of it were very hard to read.  It certainly opened my eyes to the fact that there are various types of Amish and how cruel some people can be without meaning to be.  A lot of the books out there now have the Amish romanticized and this is not at all the case in a lot of instances.  They are no different than anyone else.

It was a quick read and kept my interest all the way through.  I was able to find a facebook page for her and a youtube video where Meghan Kelly interviews her for the Today Show.  Apparently there is a second book coming out which I hope to find and purchase.

I was not able to buy this in paper form, but got it for my Kindle for a little over $2.  Not a bad buy at all.  If you get a chance, you really should read this book.

4 comments:

  1. There are many kinds of Amish. The Lancaster Co Amish are much more 'liberal' then many in other areas. I studied about the Schwartzentruber Amish in HS. While I don't usually like novels with an Amish theme, I think I might like this book, mostly because it's a true story. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the review.It sounds like a very interesting book. Since it is a true story,I may add it to my 'to be read' list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like an interesting book. I used to watch a program on TV about Amish youngsters. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.