Tuesday, August 21, 2018

ETC.

I found this column in an old magazine I was reading.  I thought it was very interesting and wanted to share it with you.

WHEN SHOULD YOU THROW IT AWAY?
Most of us discard food we believe is unsafe to eat, but it's important that we understand what food expiration dates mean before we dump our food -- and our money -- down the drain.

ShelfLifeAdvice.com offers these guidelines.
Image result for child drinking milk clipart

Milk:  If properly refrigerated, milk will remain safe, nutritious, and tasty for about a week after the sell by date.

Cottage cheese:  Pasteurized cottage cheese lasts for 10-14 days after the date on the carton.

Mayonnaise:  Unopened, refrigerated Kraft mayonnaise can be kept for 30 days after its expiration date or three to four months after opening.

Yogurt:  Yogurt will remain good seven to 10 days after its sell by date.

Eggs:  Refrigerated eggs should last at least three to four weeks after the sell by date.

THE "USE-BY" DATE
The "use-by" or "best if used-by" date indicates the last day that the item is at its best quality as far as taste, texture appearance, odor, and nutritional value.  The decline after that is gradual.  The use-by date refers to a product that has not yet been opened.

Related image

FOOD SAFETY WEB SITES
http://www.foodsafety.gov
http://www.fda.gov/Food
http://www.ehow.com/food-safety
http://www.homefoodsafety.org
http://www.fightbac.org

7 comments:

  1. Interesting, I recently threw out a couple eggs and per this list I could still have used them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good info. I've always heard that eggs last a lot longer if you keep them at the same temp. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good things to know. I've used eggs that I thought 'might'be old but found them still good. Appreciate the info! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, I know darn well I have used things well past the expiration date.If it's in the fridge . It is hard for me now with just two people But I also have thrown out good food because of doubts, I am sure. Thanks for this post. Blessings to you,, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. This is excellent information for us to know. I might share your list on my blog too. I just threw out a lot of food because my fridge is not working, but I probably could have kept some of the food. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know these things. Best it used by is a good idea....check and see if it smells good, taste it. Happens to me once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.