Saturday, July 28, 2018

SISTERS GET-AWAY DAY 1 PART 1

It's not Sisters Week anymore, but it is still fun to get away.  And that's just what we did.  Elaine came down from northern New Jersey (fighting two major detours along the way) and we loaded up my car.  We were on our way to Lancaster County!  Lancaster is our happy place.  We had heard about the flooding west of Philly and thought we might get caught in some of it, but it was even farther west than us.  And the sun was out!  So all was right in our world.

We did encounter a part where Route 30 was stopped.  Cars, trucks, everything.  We found out on the way back that there was a lot of construction being done on the highway and they were letting all the tractor trailers through one at a time so everyone was just sitting there.  We saw a lot of cars pulling out of line and going down the road just to the left of us.  I didn't know where that road went and so was afraid to take it and get lost.  But after just sitting there for 15 minutes, Elaine got out the GPS and we found that it led to a road that I did know.  So off we went.  Who knows how long we would have sat there.  And it was nice seeing a part of the county we don't usually see.

The road we ended up on was Strasburg Road.  At first we didn't know where we were, but then we began seeing things we knew -- The Railroad Museum, The Choo-Choo Barn, The Red Caboose Motel and finally Strasburg Railroad.  Yes, Strasburg is the home of the famous steam engine train ride.  I have ridden the train so many times.  What fun.  So then I knew right where I was and was able to get back to where I wanted to be.

It was too early to get into our room and we were a little hungry so we ended up going to Rockvale Mall and went to Cracker Barrel for lunch.  We knew we were going to have a big dinner, so we just got breakfast.  Elaine had a delicious looking yogurt parfait and I had an egg and sausage.  Yum!
Image result for cracker barrel yogurt parfait
Google image

Best of all, I had a gift card so the meal was free!

Since we were right there, we decided to go to Lenox.  We both had 50% off coupons to use.
Image result for lenox store in lancaster county

It was Christmas in July and most of the store was Clearance.


They have such pretty things.



Such beautiful bowls!  I'm a sucker for bowls, but I did not buy any.  Not even one.  I was tempted but -- no where to put them!



Christmas everywhere.  So adorable.  But even marked down baking Santa was $45.



The rocking reindeer was precious!







When I went to check out, the lady at the cash register read the address on my card and asked if I lived near Rhawn Street.  I told her about four miles away but fairly close.  She used to live there when she was first married.  Her grandparents lived near where I used to work and she went to the park that I used to go to with my then boyfriend and his children about 30 years ago.  Such a small world.

So here's what I got at Lenox:



I debated about the Christmas tray, but after putting it in and out of my cart a few times, decided to get it.  I can think of several uses for it this holiday season.  Last time I was in Lenox I bought a napkin holder without realizing it held only the smaller cocktail napkins.  I found some pretty ones pretty cheaply and then found matching hand towels, bath towels, shower curtains, tablecloths, soap dishes, etc.  I just took a hand towel to use in the kitchen and match with the napkins.

Kirklands was right next to Lenox.  I had never been there but heard a lot about it so wanted to take a look.  They had a lot of pretty things but too pricey for my pocketbook.  Not that they weren't worth it.  I went around the store a couple of times.  Finally Elaine and I each got an "America" sign to use as decoration on patriotic holidays and I got a pretty pumpkin soap dispenser with pumpkin spice scented soap in it.  It smells so good!  Even Joe likes it.


By this time it was late enough for us to check in, so we headed for the hotel.

And that is where I am going to leave it for today.  Elaine and I took almost 100 pictures, so I am cutting this trip into four parts.  Otherwise it just gets too long.  I will be back tomorrow with more pictures for you.

Have a good Saturday!

Kathy


11 comments:

  1. Such pretty things at Lenox! I liked the deer with the forest critters. However like yo,I have no place to put them.Elaine's parfait looks so delicious! Can't wait to see day 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed day #1 with you and look forward to day 2. Love the Christmas things most!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds lovely! I’m so glad to hear you girls had a good time together......and you always do!
    It’s been so many years since I’ve been to Lancaster County! Looking forward to the rest of the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh what beautiful things at the Lenox store. I'd have a hard time leaving that store without at least one little trinket in my bag. It's good that you and your sister are having such a great time. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love that back road to Strasburg--I often take it home to Annapolis and it winds thru the country side with no traffic! Trips to Lancaster are my favorite drives! Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will take most any road to avoid long waits. Sometimes I do get lost. The worst is to travel for miles over hill and dale to find yourself dropped about a half mile further down the road you were already on. 😳

    A wonderful start to your time away with your sister. The shops sound like something I would very much enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, Oh what fun...even taking an unexpected turn was a fun adventure. Hope you girls have a great time and lots of laughs. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you took that chance on a different road....it is a scenic route for sure! I enjoyed reading about your adventure in my neck of the woods and can't wait for more!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely things!! I do love Lenox. We have a Kirkland's at our Lakeside Village. They do have some great things too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you post pictures of Lancaster, I always get home sick to see that place again. Have a blessed Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  11. what beautiful things you bought, I really like those napkins,,I like the look of that Kirklands lol,,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.