Tuesday, February 20, 2018

THE PANTRY MAKEOVER CONTINUES



That was me this morning.  I was so convinced that it was Wednesday that I even took my Wednesday medication instead of Tuesday's.  Oh well.  I'll just take Tuesday's on Wednesday.  It all works out in the end.

I finally had a day where I could stay home.  They are few and far between.  I made chicken salad sandwiches for lunch.  I had one chicken thigh left over from dinner the other night and got three sandwiches out of it.  That's called stretching the budget.  They were really good too.

After we ate I asked Joe to help me with the pantry.  My back is really hurting me and I knew I couldn't do it myself.  He and I pulled everything off of the second shelf and sorted them by what they were:  pasta, potatoes, bread crumbs, etc.  Then Joe washed down the shelf and we put things back.  Well, mostly Joe.  I never knew how good he was at getting things to fit like a jigsaw puzzle.  Again, I was amazed at how much stuff was on the shelf.


I was also surprised by how much of everything we had.  I found some jars to put the popcorn into.  I don't think I will need to buy any for awhile.


And pasta!  We have enough pasta to last us for months.  I had no idea.  That's what happens when things get pushed to the back of the shelf.  In order to save room, I took some containers we saved from take out food Joe had ordered.  I put the noodles and spätzle in them along with the package all folded up.  That way I knew what they were and had the cooking directions.


Look how neatly Joe stacked them at the back of the shelf.  But now I know they are there.


And here is the finished shelf.  We couldn't fit the tortellini in so we are having it for dinner.  And the stuffing will be gone this weekend when I have our pork chops.  It's still tight, but now I will actually use things up.  You can see the little label I put on the shelf to let us know what is there.


I thanked Joe for helping me and he wanted to do the next shelf.  So we did.  Tea and hot chocolate.  The basket I bought at Target a couple of weeks ago holds most of the tea.  The hot chocolate is in a basket behind it.  Now we can easily pull out what we would like to drink.  I have lots of tea.  All kinds of tea.


There is one more shelf to go but the pantry is looking so good.


My quest to downsize and clean the kitchen continues!

Kathy


10 comments:

  1. Great idea to use the Take-Out containers for storing open bags.
    Way yo go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, So glad that Joe helped....team work makes light work. Your pantry looks very tidy indeed. Girl keep track of days is hard...remember when you are retired, you have six Saturdays and one Sunday, that's why. LOL. Blessings to you and Joe, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always feels good to get cupboards organized and purged! Looking good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you two make a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good my friend. It is great to have help and sounds like you had the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job! I’m about to go in and clean out our spice cupboard. Last week I got all of Christmas packed away and this week I’m doing a good cleaning in every room. One room a day. I pick at least two cupboards or areas to organize in each room. By next week the house will be all clean and I hope we can go back down to the ranch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is surprising what gets crammed into cupboards. Good job to you both!Repurposing the food containers was a great idea.Looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so neat and organized! Good job, both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you're doing a great job, both of you. Things go much better when there are two of you sharing the work. Your cabinet is looking great. You are inspiring me to do a little bit every day and hopefully one dsy soon, all my rooms will look much better. You have a great day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kathy, how are you? Oh, my! I love a neat pantry, although mine seems to stay a mess. How nice of Joe to help you out and he did a great job! My pantry's shelves are deep and I find stuff poked way far back too. Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.