Wednesday, January 24, 2018

WHAT I'M READING: NOW AND ZEN (2018/3)

2018 - book 3

Now and Zen by Linda Gerber

Image result for now and zen

Summary:
Nori is trading in her jeans for a silk kimono.
Tokyo , Japan, is nothing like Nori Tanaka imagined it would be.  She expected tranquil gardens and swoopy-roofed houses, not concrete and neon.  And everyone assumes that, with her traditional Japanese features, she's a native instead of a naïve American study-abroad student.  Even Erik, a gorgeous German student, mistakes Nori for Japanese and treats her like a personal tour guide.  Nori is sure that he'll like her for who she is once he gets to know her, so what harm can come of pretending to be Japanese?  It doesn't take long to realize that she has a lot to learn about Japan, and about herself, before she can pass for a native.  But after exploring the karaoke clubs in Tokyo, the peaceful temples in Kyoto and the breathtaking heights of Mt. Fuji, Nori knows she has a good chance of finding the hidden Japanese sprit and Zen mindset within herself.

My review:
I discovered the S.A.S.S. (Sudents Across the Seven Seas) books when I worked at the library.  They are a series of Young Adult books.  In each stand-alone story a high-school aged student goes to study in a foreign country for one semester.  The story tells about the country, about the student, and gives a life lesson.

The lesson in this book was about being true to yourself.  Nori finds this out the hard way by pretending to be someone she is not.

I love these books.  I have another one and hopefully I can get some of the others for my Kindle.  You don't have to be a high school student to love a good story.

Kathy

Weather in Philadelphia:
High:  45*F
Low:  26*F
Sunrise:  7:15 a.m.     Sunset:  5:10 p.m.
9 hours and 55 minutes of daylight

4 comments:

  1. Young adult books are often excellent...just think of Harry Potter! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a good series of books, Kathy. One that has a lesson included in the story telling. Hope you have a great Thursday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading, although I haven't been doing much of it lately. I do have a lot of books on my tablet, but I still prefer the paper edition. Lately, I've been enjoying the "how to" craft books. Enjoy your stories, and have a great day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to mention the Harry Potter books as well, but Terri D beat me to it. That said, some of those books seemed more on an adult level than YA.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.