Tuesday, January 9, 2018

NEW YEAR'S EVE AND NEW YEAR'S DAY


Here we are a week into 2018 and I still haven't told you about New Year's.  It was rather low-key this year both because it was on a Sunday and because of the bitter cold weather.

I made sugar cookies and gingerbread cookies for the Fellowship Time at church.  Everyone loved them and they went quickly.

Our pastor was away visiting relatives that day and so Joe took the pulpit.  He spoke on the Reflections and Perspective of Christmas and now that Christmas was past, how we viewed it.  One thing he said really stood out to me -- that Jesus was born to die.  I never quite thought of it that way before.

After church we hurried home to keep warm.  I cannot tell you how bitterly cold it was.  We did not want to leave the house at all for any reason.  Even with the heat cranked way up it was chilly in the house.

I had salmon for dinner.  Fish is supposed to bring good luck on New Year's Eve.  It was really good.

After dinner we lit a Bayberry candle.  Another tradition for New Year's Eve.


We were going to have snacks around 11:00 p.m. but ended up just having some tortilla chips and salsa.

I don't watch the ball drop in Times Square.  I live in Philly and want to see Philly.  We have wonderful fireworks along the Delaware River at midnight.  I found a TV channel that showed it and that's what we watched before going to bed.

I got these pictures from the internet.  I can't take credit for any of them.

Courtesy of the Delaware River Water Commission
Courtesy of G. Widman

Courtesy of Matt Stanley
New Year's Day was also very cold.  I didn't do much of anything.  I napped.  I read.  I knit.  I watched TV.  I made a pork roast for dinner along with mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables.

You know if you live in Philadelphia, you watch the Mummers Parade.  At least most people do.  I find that people either love or hate the Mummers.  I, for one, love them.  I didn't spend the day watching the 10 hour parade, but looked in on them on TV now and then.  It was frigid, well below freezing, and people were worried about the marchers and the instruments freezing.  There were warming tents set up along the way that the marchers could duck into and buses nearby for the spectators.  Most of the bleachers along the street were only half full.  When the reporters interviewed the people everyone said they were glad they were there, but you notice I didn't go downtown and sit on those bleachers.  Here are some pictures I got from the internet.

One of the Comic Divisions were dressed as lobsters.



The Quaker City String Band

The Woodland String Band

And if you have four minutes to spare and want to view one of the string band performances, here is the Duffy String Band for you.
https://www.facebook.com/PhillyMummersSBA/videos/787588711443731/

Hope you've been having a great 2018.  I'm so glad our temperatures have gotten warmer.

Kathy

Weather in Philly:
Clear
High:  43*F  (6*C)
Low:  23*F  (-5*C)
Sunrise:  7:21 a.m.
Sunset:  4:53 p.m.
9 hours and 32 minutes of daylight


5 comments:

  1. what an amazing celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...we love the Mummers! Joe took me to the Mummer's Museum once. It's been years since we saw the parade. We actually had a couple of Mummer's tapes for the car at one time! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. You saw the old year out and the new year in just perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also had a low-key New Year's Eve and New Year's Day celebration. We had to make an unexpected road trip back to NJ for a funeral services a few days after Christmas. We had dinner at home and it was nice to be inside and warm because it was very cold here too. I felt sorry for all those folks who had to march in NYC and Philly, but maybe that kept them warm and perhaps those feathers too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome photos of the fireworks and the parade, even if they are from the TV. It was cold here, and Pogo and I stayed awake long enough to see in the new year, then it was off to dreamland for both of us. Happy New Year to you! Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.