Tuesday, November 14, 2017

THE HOLIDAY BAZAAR


Last Wednesday my friends Carol and Donna joined me in going to the retirement community where my aunt lives to attend their annual Holiday Bazaar.  This is the second time I've gone and I really enjoy it.  It is held in a large room and the residents bake, crochet, knit and donate items for sale.

The first person I hunted up was my Aunt Alice.  She had told me she would be working at the bake sale.  And she was working!  It was so busy.  I was fortunate enough to buy the last bag of her cheesecake cookies and then I also bought a bag of her oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip cookies along with a raisin and a nut cinnamon buns.  They were all wonderful.


Here's a picture of Aunt Alice and I a couple of years ago.  She was way too busy to get a picture this year.

Next I went to the table with purses and scarves.  A couple of years ago I got a cute purse for spring and a brown and tan shimmery scarf that is so pretty I get tons of compliments every time I wear it.  This year I found a brown patchwork purse that I am using for fall.  I debated over it, but when I picked it up for the third time I knew I really wanted it.  It cost me all of $2.  None of the scarves jumped out at me.  I looked at the jewelry but there wasn't any turquoise which is what I was looking for.



Next I went to the dishes.  Like I need more dishes.  I was very tempted by several pieces because I love dishes but I have no where to put the ones I already have.  So the only thing I bought was a large bread basket that I took to church.  We were looking for baskets last Sunday and this pretty one was only $2 so I gave it to them.

I looked at the plants and was going to get one but my back was killing me so I left and went to sit on one of the chairs in the hallway.  Donna joined me while Carol still shopped.  Donna showed me a beautiful crocheted lap robe she bought.  I went back and looked at the handmade items they had.  I ended up buying a beautiful afghan for Hadley for Christmas.  I got Tennessee orange of course.  It looks pink in the picture, but it really is orange.


Then we went and got something to eat.  They had tables set up in another room and were serving a lunch special of hot dog, chips and beverage for $3.

There was also a silent auction with wonderful things like trips, groceries, a spa day, a day with the Phillies, etc. but none of us made a bid although we looked at everything.

We had such a wonderful day.  The money raised goes right back into helping the residents of the community.

Tomorrow I will show you the foliage pictures I took.  Carol was driving and I was in the back seat so I got a chance to snap away.  I took about 50 pictures and then just got rid of the bad ones.  There's still over 30 beautiful shots left and I will show you the best of the best.

Until then, have a wonderful day.

9 days to Thanksgiving
41 days to Christmas
48 days to New Year's

Kathy



 


14 comments:

  1. Such a sweet photo of you and Aunt Alice. I love sales like this one. You really found some bargains. Those cookies sound delicious! This year is slipping by fast!
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mildred, you are so right. I just don't know where the time goes. I always like to go to the Holiday Bazaar and going with friends makes it even more fun. And yes, the cookies were wonderful. My Aunt Alice can bake!

      Delete
  2. I shop at one where mom was close to. Will check out when their bazaar is. Glad you got to see your aunt and buy nice items. I like your purse! Happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The purse is a bit smaller than I realized so I can't fit everything in, but that's OK. I still like it a lot. Hope you get to the one near you.

      Delete
  3. That was a wonderful photo you took!!!!

    I am so glad you went to the bazaar and had a good time. You found some good things and I bet she will love the orange lap quilt.

    I look at your countdown and can't believe how quickly the year has flown by.

    Have a wonderful day- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if Hadley will like the baby blanket, but I think her mom will. LOL. Yes, this year has really flown by.

      Delete
  4. You got some beautiful items at amazing prices! What fun! And I love the quote at the end. I think I'll write that in my journal tonight! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to use the quote. I got it off of facebook.

      Delete
  5. Days like that are always fun, especially when you find a few things that you just have to buy (and help a good cause!). Looking forward to the backseat photos tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I could be walking the path that's at the top of your blog. The beautiful colors!
    I relly enjoy going to bazaars. You usually find some wonderful treasures (especially in the baked goods! ha ha). Glad you got to enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw that quote on Facebook today. I like it!
    The bazaar you attended sounds so much like the one that is held at the retirement community where I worked. So many good bargains to be had. You found some nice items!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was fun to see your great finds, Kathy. I try to attend all as many of local bazaars and/or flea markets as possible. At this time of year there are many craft shows where admittedly I like to look at everything, but can't buy everything. And, as you did, it's nice to shop for gifts for others because these items don't stay in our homes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.