Saturday, November 25, 2017

THANKSGIVING


I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Mine was great.  Joe and I went out to Lancaster County for the day.  We had reservations for dinner at 1:00 p.m. at the Bird-in-Hand Restaurant.



We left early because I wasn't sure how bad traffic would be.  But it wasn't bad at all.  We got there about 12:15 p.m.  We checked in, used the restrooms and waited only a few minutes until they called us for our table.  So we were seated around 12:30 p.m.

We had opted for the buffet and was that ever the right option.  They had everything imaginable there.  A huge salad bar.  Three kinds of soup.  The entrees were dark meat or light meat turkey, roast beef, ham or broiled haddock.  I had Joe go up to get his food first while I just sat there sipping on my iced tea after having driven over two hours.  He came back with his plate piled up and said he was skipping the salad because all the food looked so good.  I agreed and did the same thing.

I had mashed potatoes, stuffing, and dark meat turkey with gravy, lima beans and corn.  Joe had the cranberry relish which he said was wonderful.

Then it was time for dessert.  Joe came back with a couple of pieces of sugar-free pie.  I took a little bit of his pumpkin pie to see if I liked it.  I don't like everyone's pie.  I'm very picky about it.  But it was good, so I got him to go back and get me a piece.  It was very good.  Almost as good as my grandmother's and that's going some.  You can see from the picture that the slices were small and I was glad because I don't think I could have eaten a large piece.



There were still a lot of people hanging around waiting for a table when we were finished, so we didn't linger.  We did look around and bought some snickerdoodle cookies for later.  We figured we would both be hungry later in the evening.  (And we were!)

When we went outside I took pictures of the decorations (and Joe) and Joe took a picture of me.





Even though it was early, we decided to head over to the hotel to see if we could get in.  Check-in time is 3:00 p.m. and it was around 2:00 p.m. by now.

We stayed again at the La Quinta Hotel on Route 896.  This is by far the best place I have ever stayed in Lancaster and I've stayed at a LOT of the hotels/motels out there.  The hotel was decorated so beautifully!



I asked if I could take pictures of the lobby and they told me I could take as many as I wanted.

















I cannot say enough good things about the staff at this hotel.  It was down to bare bones on the staff.  All the housekeeping people had gone home.  Yet still the one desk attendant went out of her way to find us foam pillows since we are both allergic to feathers.  I have not met one person there who is not pleasant and helpful.  So even though we were an hour early, we found ourselves in our room.


We had asked for the same room we had last month and we got it.  Since I gave you a tour last time, I won't here.  I'll just show you something I did not before.  This room is really a suite.  There is the bedroom/bathroom part.




And then there is a partial wall and a sitting room part.





I was so stuffed and so tired I didn't even leave the room until the next day.  Instead I knit a lot, watched TV and read some of my library book.  Joe was on his tablet for awhile and then he did this:




I did some of that too.  I did enjoy watching an old Star Trek from the 1960s and a movie that I had wanted to see when it was in the theater but never got to.


The sunset was gorgeous and was the perfect ending to the day.






There is so much more to tell you about the following day, but that will wait for tomorrow.


Kath





8 comments:

  1. Wow! What a beautiful day you had! All the decorations are lovely,especially the big white bear.Kathy,I think you found the biggest pumpkin for your photo.ha ha The sunsets
    were the perfect ending.Glad you & Joe enjoyed your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! So glad you were able to do as you had planned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you both were well andt enjoyed your time away. You should get s commission for your glowing review of the hotel!
    Looking forward to what is next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm So glad you were able to go and enjoy!! I was thinking about you but didn't want to bother you with a phone call on your time away. Sometime when you come our way again, we would love for you to visit at our home. Maybe when the weather is nice and we can be on the porch, my favorite spot :)
    Loved all the pictures! Enjoy your Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds and looks like you two had the almost perfect day. Glad you like the motel and you got the same room. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure sounds (and looks) like you had a wonderful holiday!! Looking forward to reading about your next day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the photos of the decorations. This seems like such a comfy place to stay at. I'm so glad you both had a wonderful time. Now I'm off to read the next post. You have a great day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you had a great time away and got a room at the place you like. I have favorites too. I listened to my Manheim Steamrollers Christmas cd for the first time Sat. Wound up playing it twice as Megan turned it on later! Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.