Sunday, November 26, 2017

BLACK FRIDAY

I had a really good night's sleep.  I woke up earlier than Joe and read for a little while before going back to bed and sleeping for another hour.  I was tired!  When I finally got up, I looked out the window and saw it was a beautiful sunny day.


After we got ourselves together, we packed up and decided to put some of our luggage in the car before going back to do any last minute things and check out.  We were going to go to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.  Joe has a gift card that he got for his birthday back in May and we were going to use that.

As we went out a man stopped Joe and asked if he was a veteran.  Yes, he is!  They started talking.  I was cold so I went to the car, put in what I had, and came back.  They continued to talk.  After awhile I gave Joe the car keys and went into the lobby.  I sat there as they talked on.

LaQuinta allows you to bring your dog with you.  There was a couple sitting in the chairs across from me each with a golden retriever.  One of the dogs started coming to me and his owner pulled him back.  I asked the lady if I could pet him, and she said yes.  They were saying they keep their dogs under control because not everyone likes dogs and their dogs are big.  I ended up talking to them about 10 minutes as Joe and the other guy talked on outside.

The hotel's breakfast area was smelling so good.  Free breakfast comes with your room.  I hadn't looked there because I figured it was the usual Danish and coffee.  But it was over 12 hours since I had last eaten and I was hungry!  I decided to get something to eat while I was waiting for Joe.

I was very surprised when I went into the room.  There was creamed chipped beef and biscuits, oatmeal, 3 kinds of cold cereal, scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs with ham, fruit, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, 3 kinds of juice, coffee, Danish, muffins, 4 kinds of bread, and donuts.  A lot of people were there.  I now understood why.  So I got myself some fruit and sat down at a table where I could see the front door (and Joe).  Finally they shook hands and I saw Joe walk toward the car.  When he came in I waved to him and he came over.  We decided with all this good food to stay where we were for breakfast.

Again, I can't say enough about the staff.  The lady in charge of the breakfast room came over to us, introduced herself, and asked if everything was OK and if we needed anything.  She said she remembered us from when we were there last month and she looked forward to seeing us again when we came back.

We went to go back to the room to get the rest of our things and I realized I did not have the keys.  We went to the front desk and they told us that someone had found it where I had been sitting in the lobby and turned them in.  How nice!  They gave them back to us and we went and finished taking everything out.  We will be back!

Then it was time for Black Friday shopping.  I NEVER go shopping on Black Friday.  The only place I wanted to go to was Lenox because they were having a 40% off everything in the store sale.  That's where we headed first.  The prices were great and I still spent over $100.  But I got a lot of Christmas gifts.

Joe wanted to go to Cracker Barrel to shop so we headed there next.  We went in and it was wall-to-wall people.  And more kept coming in.  You literally could not move.  Now the store is crowded with just a few people, but this was ridiculous.  I couldn't take it so I waited for Joe outside.  I can't stand being in a place where you can't even look at an object without someone brushing against you or bumping into you.  But sitting outside I was able to take pictures of their awesome decorations.





I was tired and I told Joe I was ready to call it a day and just go home.  So we headed that way, but decided to stop off in Kitchen Kettle on the way and get our picture taken with Star the reindeer.  Every year Kitchen Kettle brings in Star and people are allowed to get their picture with her.  There is a handler and another guy who you give your camera to and he takes the pictures.







We got in line and were surprised at how fast the line moved.  There were a lot of people, but many of them were in groups so it wasn't as bad as it looked.


It was so much fun to pose with Star.  Her fur was so soft.




On the way out I was looking at this sign shop.  I told Joe I liked them, but they were expensive.  I decided to go to the ladies room before leaving and when I came back Joe was talking to the lady and they were choosing a sign to put on the front of our house with our house number on.  There was an iron holder and the sign which slips right in.  Joe had picked out two designs and asked me which I liked best.  I chose one and he got it.

When we left Kitchen Kettle we headed home.  We wanted to see the National Christmas Museum before it closes, but I didn't want to be too late on the roads.  So we will go back out later in December.

We made good time getting home.  When we were back in Philly we headed to Lowe's to get a gift card for our friend Rich's birthday.  (You'll get to see the great party we went to tomorrow.)  I got a few other things we needed (you'll see my other project too) and finally headed home.

I made a Thanksgiving style dinner -- baked chicken, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole.  It was good.  And then, surprise, I crashed and slept the entire evening and night.

But it was worth it because we had an awesome time.  We would definitely do this again.

Kathy

29 days to Christmas
36 days to New Year's Day


9 comments:

  1. The breakfast sounds delicious. Such variety! The decorations at Cracker Barrel are so pretty.I agree about crowds. I do not like being smushed. Star is so beautiful! Imagine meeting a reindeer up close. I did as a child but that was quite a bit ago. Somehow I always picture them as being taller....Glad you both had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Kathy! Your pictures are awesome and truly tell your Thanksgiving story! Posing with Star was the icing on the cake! You had every right to crash and burn after all you did. Not sure I could have come home and still cook a big meal! Love how patient you and Joe are with each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your photos. I'm going to have to make myself an early lunch because that breakfast bar description has made me hungry! Everything sounds so delicious. I've never met a reindeer up close. What a beautiful animal!

    How brave you folks are to shop on Black Friday. I tried it once years ago. That was enough for me. I don't like crowds either.

    It sounds like you had an awesome Thanksgiving. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to go to the Christmas Museum. Now it looks as if we are going to see it, it will have to be this year. I was so sad to hear that they are closing!
    It looks like your journey was a success. I love those little trips!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, I love the pictures of you and Joe. It sure sounds like you had a fun trip and met some wonderful people. Blessings to you both, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a very good trip, enjoyed some good food and did lots of shopping. Hope your upcoming week will be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you had a lovely get-away! Just what you both needed! Looking forward to seeing your project!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't do any black friday shopping. Glad you had fun and ate well! I just posted my eventful day. Now I need to get clothes into the dryer. Had to wash more today as not able to do it all yesterday. Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your pictures Kathy, you and Joe make me smile 😂
    The cracker barrel is our favorite place to eat, it was founded by a local resident in our town, and started as a gas station, and small restaurant.
    What sweet pictures of the reindeer, so thrilling for you to see one in person!
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.