Thursday, September 14, 2017

WHAT I'M READING -- HER MOTHER'S HOPE


Now don't faint, folks, but I actually finished another book.  Very quickly for a 400 page book, huh?  Finished it just a week after the last one.  Uh... what makes you think I started it 10 months ago just because my friend Donna loaned it to me then?  OK, you guessed it.  It takes me a long time to read anymore.  So much going on.  But I am trying to make time to read for at least an hour a day.  I love to read and I have so many books waiting for me.  Some old friends and some new ones to make.

The book I just finished was "Her Mother's Hope" by Francine Rivers.  It is part one of a two part saga.

Her Mother’s Hope 
 
The first part of unforgettable epic family saga about the sacrifices every mother makes for her daughter and the very nature of unconditional love. On the eve of the First World War, fiery Marta Schneider leaves Switzerland and her difficult childhood behind, determined to find a new life on her own terms. Barely out of her teens, Marta is haunted by a devastating loss that fuels her ambition to one day own a hotel. From the cramped quarters of a French housekeeping school to the portrait-lined halls of a stately English manor, Marta becomes a hard working domestic who has little time to dwell on what might have been.  Instead, she draws her strength from what could be. Then, Marta meets Niclas Waltert, a man just as determined as she to forge a better life in a new place. Niclas captures her heart and together they endure the harshness of life as tenant farmers on the vast prairies of Winnipeg, Canada, before following the promise of the American dream and migrating to the agriculturally rich Central Valley of California.  Marriage and motherhood bring both joy and heartbreak, as Marta must surrender her long-held ambitions for the sake of her husband and children, including her daughter, Hildemara, upon whose shoulders her own hopes now squarely rest. Only the strong survive and Marta is determined to raise a daughter as strong as she.  But as Hildie reaches young womanhood and another war is fast approaching, those hopes become too heavy a burden for Hildie to bear. Born with a heart to serve others, Hildie pursues her calling as a nurse, something Marta can’t understand. Marta’s years of hardnosed parenting have left Hildie still hungry for her mother’s love…and now for her mother’s respect. Amid the drama of WWII, Hildie falls in love and begins a family of her own. She wants her daughter, Carolyn, never to doubt her love—but the challenges of life conspire against her vow and the only person who can come to her aid is the person she remains so desperate to please: Marta, her mother. With hallmark touches of brilliant prose and gripping characterizations, Her Mother’s Hope is a rich, moving epic about faith and dreams, heartache and disappointment, and ultimately the resilience and tenacity of love.

Such a good book.  I am not going to take so long to read part 2.

6 comments:

  1. Kathy, I am due for an eye exam this month....and I may need new glasses...cause I have a hard time even wanting to read...to much eye strain. I am glad you finished your book. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read too, but it puts me to sleep in a short period of time...:( Glad you enjoyed and finished this one tho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. Sometimes you just need to make the time. Sounds easier than it is,right?
    I'm currently doing a monthly devotional that I actually take to my backyard,sit on my step & enjoy my small garden as I read.Peaceful. I've also read while eating lunch (no tv or distractions).I know the joy of a finished book! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read. Right now I'm not doing much reading. I'm sure that will change as the weather gets colder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and I are on the same mission, Kathy...to carve out some time especially for reading. We are in a hotel 'up north' and I stayed up to finish a book until 1am. I have 3 more books with me-in various stages of being read (I usually have 2 or 3 books going at the same time in different 'spots'...so the goal is to finish two more of them in the next two days. I am a fast reader so that helps.

    That sounds like a good book- hope Book 2 is just as good. xoDiana

    ReplyDelete
  6. both my daughter and I like Francine Rivers books. There's two of them? It takes me awhile to get through a book as well. I pushed myself through a book early this year since it went with a online Bible study. Ann Voskamp, The Broken Way. Good read and helped me through the rough few weeks we had this year! have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.