Friday, July 14, 2017

IT'S BEEN QUITE A TIME, FER SURE


And in one moment yesterday it did.  I was sleeping soundly when Joe decided he'd do something nice for me and go grocery shopping.  When I woke up he was gone with no note so I didn't know where he was.  After awhile I got worried.  Finally 3 hours later he called and said he was on the way home.  He had done the shopping and was $1 over the money he had.  He asked the cashier to take off the box of cereal and she refused.  So he left all the groceries there and came home.  But just 1/2 block from home he went to stop for a red light and his foot slipped off of the brake and hit the gas.  He ended up hitting the car in front of him.

I got a call from a man who asked if I was Kathryn.  Yes, I am.  "Your husband has been in a car accident," he said.  "But he's OK."  I asked where he was and when I found it was just around the corner I ran over there.

Joe is fine.  A scraped elbow is all he got.  The girl in the other car, Sarah, is fine.  She was very nice.  Her car's back bumper needs to be replaced.  Our car?  Well... the hood was crumpled, the bumper was hanging and the radiator was cracked because the water was running all over the sidewalk.  Oh yes, both cars were on the sidewalk when I got there.  How did I never hear the accident?  I guess the air conditioner being so loud drowns out the outside noise.

Let me also say that the heat index yesterday was 107*.  Joe was sitting in the car trying to find insurance cards, etc. and was really confused.  Besides that his face was red and the sweat was pouring off of him.  I sent him home to get into the cool and called the insurance company and talked with the other driver.  We were both so happy no one was hurt.  Cars can be replaced.

I am totally in awe of the great insurance agent I have.  They were so awesome.  It's 24 hours later and the car is towed to a station where they have Allstate adjusters to assess the damage, I have a rental car, the other driver has had people calling her and arranged for any medical bills she has, repair to her car, and a rental car for her.  Our agent arranged for us to be in a special policy because we have never had an accident so our premium does not go up and we have a ridiculously low deductible. I love the agency we are with.

So how do I view this?  It is a total blessing.  What???  I just saw God's hand all through this.  No one was hurt.  The other driver was so nice and kept saying everyone has an accident now and then.  There were people around to help us.  The other driver was able to drive off with just a damaged bumper.  The people whose sidewalk we were on were talking to me and telling me to not worry about it, we weren't in their way and take our time moving the car.  The tow truck was able to come last night to move the car instead of leaving it for today.  The insurance company is super and moving things right along quickly.

In the middle of all of this going on yesterday, I had a doctor's appointment.  God worked again in my behalf.  I was able to find a friend from church to take me to the cancer center and another friend from church was able to bring me home.  AND I got an excellent report from the doctor.

I'm driving a 2016 Dodge Dart for a few days.  Hopefully not more than a couple of weeks.  It's going to take me a few days to get used to it, but it's a nice car.

Image result for 2016 dodge dart


It has been quite a time, but God is so good!  I can't wait to see what happens next.

Kathy

30 comments:

  1. Praise God that no one was hurt! Your car insurance people sound great. What kind of a cashier refuses to take off an item? That's nuts. Here's hoping for an uneventful weekend for us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our insurance company is good. I know I can get insurance cheaper, but I wouldn't get the service I do now. Unfortunately, the weekend has not been uneventful. (See my next post)

      Delete
  2. Kathy, I am so thankful Joe is good and the other driver also. I wish the store had worked with him... Blessings to you and Joe, glad for your good report. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie. I'm glad everyone is OK too. The cashier should have taken off the box of cereal. That's unheard of.

      Delete
  3. I agree...how rediculous to refuse one item off the bill!! Back in the day I was even allowed to return home WITH the groceries and bring back the money. Of course the owners knew where I lived :))
    So glad no one was hurt in the accident. Hopefully he's not super sore today. Enjoy your nice borrowed ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Doris, I did the same thing "back in the day." People knew each other then. Joe seems to have no ill effects from the accident, thank God.

      Delete
  4. How awful that the cashier refused to work with Joe being just $1 over in the checkout. Perhaps, if she had been more considerate the events that followed would not have happened. Glad to read that Joe and the other driver were OK, as you said cars can be repaired and replaced, unlike people. Also glad to hear you got a good report and than goodness for good friends as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that if the cashier had worked with Joe, he wouldn't have been upset and distracted driving home. I am thankful for good friends too. They are a real blessing

      Delete
  5. I can't understand why the cashier refused to let Joe take off the box of cereal, he should have asked for a manager, heck that's bad customer service.
    Sorry about the accident, but happy no-one was hurt, except maybe someone's pride.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand the cashier either. Yes, looking back we all see what we should have done. He was upset and wasn't thinking at that point to ask for a manager.

      Delete
  6. This is the kind of story I like to read!
    Everyone "happy" in a bad situation.
    The only person who needs help, is the cashier! Prayers for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that Joe is okay and that the other driver was not injured either. You know, I just think about the timing of all that. Joe was probably upset because of the grocery deal. If the girl had taken the cereal off, he would have been loading groceries and the whole timing element would have been different. He would have left the lot later. Just sad all the way around but it is also a blessing that no one was really hurt. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing. If only... But we can't go back and change things. Just goes to show how everything we do affects others.

      Delete
  8. Love your attitude! Next time, though, tell Joe you will do the groceries yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was trying to help and I sure love him for that. Lots of times I need help with the groceries because I can't carry the heavy stuff. It's just too bad that it ended in an accident.

      Delete
  9. Bless Joe for trying! So glad no one was hurt. Praise God! Your insurance people are true blessings. I agree on praying for the cashier. If I'd been behind him,I would have given him the dollar! I was in line once with an entire order to find I had no money! That cashier put my order on 'hold' till my husband was able to run my change purse to me. What a difference! It shows how a small gesture has a ripple effect. Very happy the doctor gave you a good report. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you telling me about that time when Rusty came to your rescue. But this cashier told the "old man" to "go home and get your money". She refused to take off one box of cereal so that he would have enough money. That's uncalled for.

      Delete
  10. What a day you and Joe both had...him in the accident, and you scared and worried, but God is and was the winner in all of it. Thankful Joe and the lady werent injured, and you DO have a great insurance company. God bless all involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! God is good and He sure showed Himself to me that day.

      Delete
  11. That is so scary! I've happy that everyone is ok but it still creates a lot of work and trouble! I'll keep you in my prayers. I hope you can stay home and rest this weekend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are so right Diane. There is so much work involved in an accident. Thank you so much for your prayers. I stayed home today and rested just as you hoped.

      Delete
  12. Hang in there! So glad everyone is ok. I think the man upstairs was looking
    out for you. Do enjoy the weekend and be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad everything worked out and you and Joe are ok. Several comments mentioned the cashier, I don't think it would be out of place to report this to her manager who may be unaware of how she is behaving. Good for Joe for leaving the shopping behind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Jenny, I did call the manager and reported her. Too bad I didn't have a name. But the manager was not happy with what happened and was going to find out who did it and "talk" to her.

      Delete
  14. Who knows what can happen in a day? It is a good thing that our Lord watches out for his children as we trust him through each day. Blessings to you and Joe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What would I do without the Lord? He's the only One keeping me going these days.

      Delete
  15. Wow! What a day you had! God is good, for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praise God for Joe's safety and the other lady involved!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.